Budget Performance Sound Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget Performance Sound Cards

Well, what do you guys have an want to suggest to others? I am looking at the Hercules Fortissimo line possibly, but I would like to hear your thoughts. I am also considering the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

I don't need a midi/game port. Even if I have one, I will disable it, and I would actually prefer a card without one. I am resisting anything from Creative because of the buzzing reported by numorous people here, as well as their shotty updates/support.

I am also open to anything else that might exist, so please bring it to my attention. I will openly consider Creative as well.

what about philips they make some decent sound cards

Comment

What is all this buzzing about? I have a soundblaster live and I get NO BUZZING SOUND. Unless of course I have my speakers turned up really high and no sound comming through. But that's just the amplifier giving off random signals.

Comment

it all has to do with the audigy there are some complaints that the card gives a sound anywhere from a buzzing to a hissing

Comment

ah so the live cards don't have this problem?

Comment

The Live!...oh, boy. While I didn't have trouble, I don't consider that to be a real wise choice as there are known problems when combined with Via chipsets, especially when it comes to the Via 686B southbridge.
            Best budget soundcard IMO: Hercules Fortissimo II.

Comment

Well I have a via northbridge and I have a live 5.1 card. I'm not sure what my south bridge is off the top of my head but guess what? I have no known problems with my sound card at all. Except maybe in UT but that's with AA on. Which I have already established UT doesn't like AA.

Comment

I think the Epox 8k7a+ has the 686B southbridge and I used it with my Live 5.1 card with no problems. I was/am running Win98, which it doesn't seem many people are still using.
                Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

It's just one of those unfortunate things. A lot of people did have problems with the Live! series and Via chipsets, but then again most did not. I, for one, have had my SB Live! Value on two VIA chipset motherboards, and haven't had a problem with it.

Comment

Personally, when taking the budget into account I'd have to go with the Hercules Fortissimo II. Haven't seen a bad review on 1 yet.
                    Actually, I set out to get 1 for myself but came home with the Hercules Game Theater XP instead. Twice the money but worth every penny - don't regret a cent of it.

But I was feeling generous that day, like I said it was the Fortissimo II that I was going for. If you don't have need of the ports as you say it ought to be a real solid value.
                    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

I have a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and love it. Great sound & lots of options. Check out their web site. Their control panel makes it very easy to configue as well.

Comment

Hmm, do any of the Turtle Beach Cards have optical Out?

Comment

Mine doesn't but I thought we were talking lower end cards. I've never looked at their high end stuff.

Comment

The Fortissimo II does via Toslink.

Comment

Yes, I know it does.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at what philips has to offer, and I found some Very favorable reviews of the 'seismic edge' card. With it outperforming the Audigy in every category but it does lack one obscure unused feature, none the less, it retails for 40$ and the audigy retails as high as 200$ !

I am leaning towards this card from Philips unless someone knows of a reason not to? It doesn't have optical out, but with all the bonuses it does have, and especially at this price, I am willing to go without the optical out.

Comment

Working...
                              X