n00b getting a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b getting a new computer

Ok you read the title i'm a n00b and i'm getting a new computer.

My current computer is:

POS Compaq 7598
    600mhz
    384 sdram
    integrated sound and video
    etc....

New setup is going to be:

*Note: I am getting an alienware because A. My parents won't let me build my own comp. and B. They want to get a computer that will be easily upgraded C. This compaq wont let me upgrade without alot of hassle. I know that alienwares are overpriced but thats what im getting. I am also on a budget so i won't be getting the best things

AMD 1900+
    ASUS A7N266-C nVidia nForce DDR mobo
    256 DDR SDRAM
    40gb Western Digital Ultra ATA 7200rpm 2mb cache
    ATI Radeon 8500 128mb AGP
    SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
    Cooler Master DP5-7H53F High-Performance HSF
    Kool Maxx Video Cooling System
    340watt power supply

*Note: The alienware case has 6 fan slots.

As you can see it isnt the best on the market but it's pretty nice and is a HUGE upgrade from my compaq.

Now my questions are:

What parts of this can I overclock?
    How much can I overclock?
    Is it worth it to overclock?
    What extra parts do I need to overclock?

I am an EXTREME n00b to the whole overclocking scene so any and all info will be welcome.

Thankyou,

PGA1234

If overclocking is what your after - invest in a good heat sink Thermalright SLK800 and SwiftechMCX462 are among the best - and also the most expensive Alpha 8045, thermalright AX7 & Thermaltake Volcanoe7+ (make sure it's a "plus") are a little cheaper and also very good.

I've never had an nForce board - but it should be just a matter of going into your bios & bumping up your FSB a little at a time - most of the OC-friendly boards also allow increases to the Vcore and Vdimm for a little added stability

You'll need a tweaking utility to OC your video core & memory - Powerstrip works fine, or there are some Radeon specific ones available at www.Rage3D.com

I would leave things like multiplier unlocking on your athlon or voltage mods on your Radeon alone until you have a little more experience

Comment

Ok thanks. Do you know any good sites with beginners guides? Because I rather not make too many threads here :).

Comment

Guru3D.com - Your go-to source for tech news, reviews, and in-depth analysis of graphics cards, processors, motherboards, gaming hardware, and software from companies like AMD (Radeon) Intel (Core) and NVIDIA (GeForce). Stay updated with the latest trends and innovations in the world of technology .

MajorGeeks offers only 4-star or better geek-tested and reviewed software for Windows along with tutorials and videos when you need help with your computer.

Both of these are good

Comment

Working...
        X