n00b getting a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b getting a new computer

Ok you read the title i'm a n00b and i'm getting a new computer.

My current computer is:

POS Compaq 7598
    600mhz
    384 sdram
    integrated sound and video
    etc....

New setup is going to be:

*Note: I am getting an alienware because A. My parents won't let me build my own comp. and B. They want to get a computer that will be easily upgraded C. This compaq wont let me upgrade without alot of hassle. I know that alienwares are overpriced but thats what im getting. I am also on a budget so i won't be getting the best things

AMD 1900+
    ASUS A7N266-C nVidia nForce DDR mobo
    256 DDR SDRAM
    40gb Western Digital Ultra ATA 7200rpm 2mb cache
    ATI Radeon 8500 128mb AGP
    SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
    Cooler Master DP5-7H53F High-Performance HSF
    Kool Maxx Video Cooling System
    340watt power supply

*Note: The alienware case has 6 fan slots.

As you can see it isnt the best on the market but it's pretty nice and is a HUGE upgrade from my compaq.

Now my questions are:

What parts of this can I overclock?
    How much can I overclock?
    Is it worth it to overclock?
    What extra parts do I need to overclock?

I am an EXTREME n00b to the whole overclocking scene so any and all info will be welcome.

Thankyou,

PGA1234

If overclocking is what your after - invest in a good heat sink Thermalright SLK800 and SwiftechMCX462 are among the best - and also the most expensive Alpha 8045, thermalright AX7 & Thermaltake Volcanoe7+ (make sure it's a "plus") are a little cheaper and also very good.

I've never had an nForce board - but it should be just a matter of going into your bios & bumping up your FSB a little at a time - most of the OC-friendly boards also allow increases to the Vcore and Vdimm for a little added stability

You'll need a tweaking utility to OC your video core & memory - Powerstrip works fine, or there are some Radeon specific ones available at www.Rage3D.com

I would leave things like multiplier unlocking on your athlon or voltage mods on your Radeon alone until you have a little more experience

Comment

Ok thanks. Do you know any good sites with beginners guides? Because I rather not make too many threads here :).

Comment

www.guru3d.com

www.majorgeeks.com

Both of these are good

Comment

Working...
        X