Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 and X6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 and X6

I just bought this board for my 1055T processor. It was on the Gigabyte website as being able to support the chip. Just today after I ordered the board, GB removed the 1055T from the support list.

I emailed GB and then called them to verify. When I called, the CS Rep stated that he tried the board and chip while I was on hold and it does indeed post without an issue. Later I received an email stating:

'Dear customer,
    Board need bios update for X6 processor support, now board is under AMD'X6 processor validation. Once it passed validation bios support will post on web.'

So now I can either refuse shipment or try the board.

I was under the impression that all the 800 series boards will atleast post and boot an X6, but if it wasn't supported, it would be an unknown processor and run at 800mhz. Now, not so sure. Anyone know if the chip will post in the this board?

Re: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 and X6

most likely it wont without a bios update that supports that chip,i cant say for sure but if it doesnt work you will need an older amd chip to flash the bios to one that will run your 6core chip,its the same situation for the intel six core.......mb's arnt coming with up to date bios's on them so 9 times out of 10 it wont run the newer chips unless you update the bios
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The odd thing is the board just came out and was listed as X6 compatible. But I guess it isn't worth the risk to see if it boots with it or not unless I can borrow an older AMD chip from someone.

Just annoying that it was listed under X6 support with the initial BIOS, and they just removed that today after I bought it... Luckily Newegg will let me return it with a full refund but I would prefer to have the GB board over the other 870s (which run X6 out of the box).

Comment

they must have removed it for a reason,i know that the intel chip wont run at all without a bios update,id guess that the amd chip is the same,if you can take the board and bios on a usb stick to a local pc store they will flash it for you but they may charge you
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I will try that. I just find it out that the CS Rep when I called said it does work as he [claimed?] he tried the 870 and 1055T for me as I was on the phone while the other rep said it will need an update.

I'm just hoping it will post but just as 'unrecognized' like most boards do until the official BIOS is out.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Let us know what happens eventually, please and thanks, so others who ask might be able to find this thread later.

Comment

Will do. Got an email from another GB Rep saying it does indeed work. As well as a member on another forum stated it works. But I guess I will find out in a few days!

Comment

This question is tricky. AMD has 2 different 1055T's @ 125W and @ 95W. This could explain some of the confusion as the 1055T 125w is the one currently for sale. Will the 1055T 95Watt work as well? Hmm! Could it be possible for Gigabyte to have an AMD 1055T 95Watt for testing as well?
                Last edited by artdrivers; 05-16-2010, 07:07 PM.
                http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                Logitech G500 USB mouse
                Monitor: CMV937A
                7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Yes, surely Gigabyte would have both models under testing

Comment

I'm really not sure what the Gigabyte reps were referring too as I kept getting different answers. Two told me that it does indeed work (one of which said he tried it while I was on the phone with him) and two informed me that it won't work simply because it was pulled from the CPU list. They couldn't necessarily say if it will work/boot/post.

Add to that a member on another forum has the board working with his 1055T. I'm still a bit weary though as I don't have an older AMD chip to flash the board if it doesn't work... I should be getting the board on Wednesday, hopefully by them I'll have a more definate answer in case I would need to change boards.

Comment

I would like to suggest, when you get it. Perform a out of case P.O.S.T. test. I believe you should always do this with a new motherboard anyhow.
                      Last edited by artdrivers; 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM.
                      http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                      http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                      Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                      Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                      Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                      4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                      (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                      (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                      (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                      Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                      Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                      2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                      Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                      Logitech G500 USB mouse
                      Monitor: CMV937A
                      7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                      Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

If it doesn't work, I mean due to you needing the latest BIOS into the board, you could probably find a very cheap old CPU on ebay that would work. I keep 775 socket Intel celerons around just for updating BIOS on certain boards that need it for newer CPU's, and they sell on ebay for $10 or so.

Surely you could find a similarly cheap AMD CPU on ebay for just this purpose as well, at least if it would need an update to the latest BIOS anyway and that was the only issue. I guess that wouldn't help much if it wasn't supported at all though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                          If it doesn't work, I mean due to you needing the latest BIOS into the board, you could probably find a very cheap old CPU on ebay that would work. I keep 775 socket Intel celerons around just for updating BIOS on certain boards that need it for newer CPU's, and they sell on ebay for $10 or so.

Surely you could find a similarly cheap AMD CPU on ebay for just this purpose as well, at least if it would need an update to the latest BIOS anyway and that was the only issue. I guess that wouldn't help much if it wasn't supported at all though.
                          Oh it will be supported. A member on another forum got a review board from GB and said it works without issues and he was still on a pre-release BIOS. OCing, Turbo core and all the X6 features seem to be working on the pre-release model. The boards are shipping with F1.

I was informed the reason it was pulled from the CPU list is they are awaiting official certification for X6.

Comment

Ahh ok, well that's sounds promising then!

Cool to know, and thanks for posting about that so others will be aware

Comment

Got the board setup without any issues. Booted straight up and recognized the 1055T. Turbo core works as well. Haven't OCed yet though as I don't see an option to disable Turbo core.

Too bad migrating my C2D system to another box wasn't as painless. After thinking the CPU, Board, Ram and everything else was dead, turned out it was the PSU. Using an older Antec 430w 20pin ATX PSU for now to power that one. Good thing I barely have anything connected to it :)

Comment

Working...
                              X