Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another VIA stuff up

This is thanks to VIAHardware. Thanks guys for this

VIA officially announced their KT400 chipset for the AMD Athlon line of processors last week at QuakeCon. The live demo on the chipset was less then impressive however. Following up roughly 1000 people to watch John Carmack's speech, 15 people or so stuck around to watch what VIA had to show off. VIA had spent a lot of money to be at QuakeCon and to appeal to more of the gaming side of things, however the live demo of KT400 running Quake3 saw continued crashes. Overheating ram was blamed. Despite this embarrassing demo, VIA had great support from their motherboard partners who were showing off many KT400 boards as we showed you in our QuakeCon coverage.

yeah VIA the memory is to blame, but why can other companies get DDR-400 to work, hmm seems a bit odd.

I read somewhere that the KT400 will only support one stick of DDR400. I wonder how long it will be before the KT400A comes out.

Comment

I heard a RUMOUR it may only support DDR333 as well :(
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Yes very interesting

I have the KT400 Gigabyte board, it won't run DDR-400 memory (any kind) at 400Mhz . so its true, VIA screwed up here

amazing SiS 648 and nForce2 can use 2 or 3 DIMMs @ 400Mhz, wonder what is going wrong with VIA lately, firstly P4X400 now this.

Comment

Has anyone tried testing a KT400 with memory above DDR400?

Comment

Originally posted by airman3_16
            Are all the DDR400 memory sticks just overclocked DDR333s?
            No, I know for a fact Samsung and Kingmax have their own actual DDR400 chips - there may be more as well.
            Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

If the board and chipset can't run DDR-400 with defaul speeds. what makes you think it will handle over 400Mhz?

Personaly this is a low point for VIA now, and its going to take a huge amount of work on their part to even get me to look twice at picking a VIA chipset ever again

Take nForce2 or SiS 746, SiS might not be the fastest on the block but its a damm side more stable it seems

SiS 748 is comming to us too, DDR-400 support (unoffical but SiS has DDR-400 working). So things are looking up

For P4 take a SiS 645DX or SiS 648. They atleast are sanctioned by Intel and from what i have seen they actually work as they detail them to.

Comment

I've heard one memory module of DDR400 is supported. This is very sad if true...
                The Gigabyte board won't even accept one? Whew, they screwed up big time.
                So I take it you guys have actually seen a SIS or nForce2 board for a Socket-A platform accept more than one DDR400 memory module.
                If so, at what timings. That is the other rumor I've heard. The memory timings with DDR400 are set very slow for stability. This would have a noticable impact on performance, if true.
                Other than the improved feature set, it looks like there is not going to be a whole lot to get excited about.
                If anyone here has an inside track on some info it would be appreciated.

Comment

nVidia is set for 2 modules for DDR-400. it can run TwinBank in DDR-400 mode (128bit), well above what VIA is able to do

SiS 748 (upcomming) can hands 2 DDR DIMM's @ DDR-333 and 400.

SiS 648 (for P4) can run with 2 DDR DIMM @ 400Mhz

VIA from the looks of Dark Knights post can't really get 1 DDR DIMM @ 400Mhz to work

Places are making their DDR-400 run @ CL2.5 at teh time being, because its very hard to get 400Mhz CL2 modules out.

Comment

Well I'm happy to hear SIS and nVidia are getting two memory modules to work.
                    Corsair CMX 512-3200C2 can only run at 2.5-3-3 T2 with two memory modules installed, anyway. I think this is the upper limits of technology currently for DDR400 type memory.
                    I think it's going to take DDRII with its changes in architecture and packaging to push it beyond this.
                    Of course, it can run at 2-2-2-T1 at 180 Mhz so it will be interesting to pit a highly overclocked single memory module system against a dualDDR nVidia or SIS platform to see what the real performance differences are.
                    I can't wait to see TweakTown do a shootout with the various offerings in the latest chipset platforms.
                    Looking forward to it with great interest!

Comment

We are working on this shootout as we speak

we have one other shootout before this one but believe me it will be a big attraction for TweakTown (we hope)

Comment

I eagerly await the results!

Now this should be some very good reading, indeed. :laugh:

I am such a geek, no?:geek:

Comment

hehe nah you aren't a geek

It is me who is a geek

after all, i am around this stuff 24/7

Fun at start. but then just becomes a job :)

Comment

Working...
                          X