EP45-UD3P rev1.0: Upgraded Memory- Aaarrhhh! G. Skill F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3P rev1.0: Upgraded Memory- Aaarrhhh! G. Skill F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ

I built a machine and OCed this board November of 2008. At the time I used G. Skill PC26400 2GBx2 4GB DDR2. My setup using that memory is below. I just decided to step up to 8GB and experiencing gr8 difficulty finding the correct settings. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks for your help.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard
    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster .................: [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ............................: [8x]
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.......................:
    CPU Frequency .............................: 3.40GHz [425 x 8]

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control......................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ................: [425]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .............: 100
    C.I.A.2 ..........................................: [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive............................: [800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive..................: [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew (ps).....................: [ 50ps]
    MCH Clock Skew (ps).....................: [150ps]

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance........................: [Standard]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)..........: [Disabled]
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch....................: [400]
    System Memory Multiplier ..................: [2.00D]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ...............: 800 850
    DRAM Timing Selectable ..................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time....................... [4]
    tRCD ........................................ [4]
    tRP'.......................................... [4]
    tRAS....................................... [10]

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD................................... 3
    tWTR................................... 3
    tWR.................................... 5
    tRFC................................... 52
    tRTP................................... 3
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength .........................[Auto]

Channel A
    Static tRead Value..................... 8
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ................. [Auto]
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)................. [Auto]
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control............... [Auto]
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control............... [Auto]
    DDR Write Training..................... [Auto]

Channel B
    Static tRead Value..................... 8
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment ................. [Auto]
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment.................. [Auto]
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)................. [Auto]
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)................. [Auto]
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control............... [Auto]
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control............... [Auto]
    DDR Write Training.....................[Auto]

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type Normal Current
    CPU
    Load-Line Calibration..................... [Enabled] Enabled while overclocking
    CPU Vcore........................ 1.450V
    CPU Termination.................. 1.34V
    CPU PLL............................. 1.500V [1.500V]
    CPU Referen........................ 0.760V [Auto]

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core........................... 1.100V [1.300V]
    MCH Reference.................... 0.760V [Auto]
    MCH/DRAM Ref..................... 0.900V [Auto]
    ICH I/O........................... 1.500V [Auto]
    ICH Core......................... 1.100V [1.100V]
    DRAM
    DRAM Voltage..................... 1.800V [2.02V]
    DRAM Termination................. 0.900V [Auto]
    Channel A Reference ............. 0.900V [Auto]
    Channel B Reference ............. 0.900V [Auto]

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3......................... [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect................ [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E).................... [Enabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ............... [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function............................. [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology..................... [Disabled]

Re: EP45-UD3P rev1.0: Upgraded Memory- Aaarrhhh! G. Skill F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ

Try relaxing the timings first to 5-5-5-18 and set all the sub-timings to Auto. Try higher values for static tRead next, 8 might be too low here and could cause your problem.

Comment

Can you please give me a link to your memory, not sure if the 8GBPQ is the same as the 2 kits you added together, so just wanted to be sure

Set driving strength profiles to either 800 or 1066, try 1066 first

Set your skews back to 0ps, both

And as nickel said you may need to either use 555 timings, a higher tRD, or both since you are using 8GB. You may also need more than spec memory voltage too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
        Try relaxing the timings first to 5-5-5-18 and set all the sub-timings to Auto. Try higher values for static tRead next, 8 might be too low here and could cause your problem.
        Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
        Can you please give me a link to your memory, not sure if the 8GBPQ is the same as the 2 kits you added together, so just wanted to be sure

Set driving strength profiles to either 800 or 1066, try 1066 first

Set your skews back to 0ps, both

And as nickel said you may need to either use 555 timings, a higher tRD, or both since you are using 8GB. You may also need more than spec memory voltage too.
        Nickel & Lsdmeasap, thanks much for replying. First I'll respond to Nickel's reply. Originally the timings were relaxed. They are as the timing is listed on the memory with an exception. tRAS is listed as 15. I have it set at 13. The setting is 5, 5, 5, 13. The static tRead is still at 8.

Replying to Lsdmeasap, first let me ask, are they still producing LSD? I hear it is making a comeback as a medicinal compound for cancer patients or something of that nature. Although I am not a cancer patient, I can use a good trip.

I followed your suggestion. I lowered the CPU and MCH Clock Skew to 0. I had already increased the voltage from 1.90 to 1.92V The tRFC was already set at 62. It seems that making the change to the CPU and MCH Clock Skew is what made the difference. I left the driving strength profile set at 800. I am now booting up without an issue. At this point, I will try Prime 95 again.

G.SKILL-Products (F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ) I am using this. This is 4GB x 2.

I also have in my possession

G.SKILL-Products (F2-6400CL5Q-8GBPQ) This is 2GB x 4.

Lsdmeasap, I have one additional question. Where did you learn about memory? There is much confusing information on the web. I do consider you an excellent source, but I may need additional info. The subject matter does not come to me as easily as it may come to others. Nickel, Lsdmeasap, thanks again.

Comment

Hahaha, yes there are still MANY places producing it :)

Great to hear you got things go so far!!

I learn from building systems, personal use, and reading online.

Thanks for your link, I wasn't sure if you bought a 8GB kit or just added a second 2x2GB kit.

Comment

I am running a GA-EP45-UD3P (rev 1.6) with 8GB ram on a Q9550 with Win 7 x64. I agree with the other comments on timing. Mine is 5,5,5,15; all other settings are on auto. I am using two sticks of G.Skill (2GB each) and two sticks of Corsair (2GB each). All are 800MHz. I did not read the manual the first time I started the system. I put both sticks of Corsairs in the first two slots and the G.Skills in the second two slots. With this combination, I could not OC above 3.4GHz and I experienced several BSODs. When I read the manual I found that dual channel configuration on this board required that the same memory be placed in opposing slots. Once I changed this, OC'ing to 4.2 GHz was easy. I am not a gamer and do not require this kind of horsepower. I reduced the OC'ing to 3 and 3.4GHz, which ever one I am in the mood for. The above info is just FYI. Without your system info, I am not even sure it applies.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Nickel020 View Post
              Nickel, I see your point. In an attempt to maintain stability, I will have to relax tRAS.

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
              Hahaha, yes there are still MANY places producing it :)

Great to hear you got things go so far!!

I learn from building systems, personal use, and reading online.

Thanks for your link, I wasn't sure if you bought a 8GB kit or just added a second 2x2GB kit.
              I'll guess I'll follow your footsteps. Memory timing has become more involved now than anytime in the past.

Chris, thanks for weighing in. We are using two different CPUs. I'm using the Kentsfield Q6600. My system is overclocked @ 3.4GHz on an air cool. The tower is a Cooler Master 932 HAF. The PSU is PC Power and Cooling Turbo Cool 850. The GPU is an eVGA 8800 GTX. I have four VelociRaptors...Jurassic Park and the rest you know. 3.4GHz is functional and doesn't present cooling problems. The CPU Cooler is a Tuniq Tower. The CPU Cooler fan speed is set at 1700 RPM. I change it depending on my cooling requirements at the time. Ambient temperature is one reason to change the fan speed. Overall, the system is extremely quiet. The Cooler Master 932 HAF incorporates large fans with many blades that don't require high speeds to cool efficiently. For dust filtration, I use a combination of Swiffer Duster refills and PuraPC filters.
              Last edited by ill; 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

tRAS 15 or 18 is probably not gonna matter, the important timing though is static tRead.

The Tech Repository is the place to go if you want to learn about RAM on S775, here's a good article, but it's worth browsing through the forums there there's lots more info to be found. Freecableguy/Kris Boughton also did excellent articles on AnandTech back then, those are very much worth checking out.

These two articles are pretty much required reading for anyone who wants to understand Core 2 overclocking and RAM settings:

Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
                ASUS ROG Rampage Formula: Why we were wrong about the Intel X48 - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Comment

Thanks Nickel. I bookmarked the treasure trove of info you've provided me. Yes, I did increase the Static tRead. I've got a lot of reading to do.

Comment

No problem :) You should be aware thought that while it's fun to do, the difference between really tight timings and normal ones is unnoticeable, you can only tell small differences in benchmarks. So don't expect any real performance benefits from working through those articles ;)

Comment

Well good luck tweaking and tinkering around, let us know if you need anymore help

Comment

I think the key is stability. Achieving a good overclock that has stability is important. Yes, I agree with you with reference to performance. It's like an overclock of 3.4GHz and 3.6GHz. How much of a performance gain will be noticed by the user? Not much, but a difference it might show up in a benchmark.

Comment

You are right, not much difference there really, only in benchmarks, and of course the 3.4 would be easier to get stable at lower voltages.

Comment

With reference to the DRAM voltage, according to the packaging, G. Skill F2-6400CL5D-8GBPQ, the maximum voltage is 1.9, but the BIOS does not show a change in color, pink, until the DRAM voltage is set at 2.1. My guess is this memory has a voltage range of 1.8 - 2.08V. After that, it's bye bye. LSD, Nickel, and anyone that ventures here, enjoy the Memorial Day festivities with family and friends.

Right now the DRAM Voltage setting is 2.02 V.
                            Last edited by ill; 05-29-2010, 09:58 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

my gskill memory.like a lot of it is rated to need 1.8-1.9v for its max speed.However it" has been and allways will be your friend" :0 up to about 2.25 anyway.
                              The bios has 2 colour codings purple for 2.1-2.28 and red for 2.3 and above.You have doubled your ram capacity ,and hence from posts of old .you may have to clock things back a little since all the sticks arent matched.
                              Just like you can get better sys performance on a 1g stick compared to 2x1g sticks or then 2x2 G sticks etc.

nb 900mhz or 450cpu ref is the 4 4-4-12 practical limit for 2x2G of my gskill memory at voltages under 2.2v.there is another 100mhz using standard 5-5-5-15 timings to 1000mhz approx.
                              Last edited by kick; 05-29-2010, 07:35 PM.
                              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
                              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
                              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
                              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
                              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
                              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
                              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
                              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
                              X