Are these temperatures normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these temperatures normal?

I have a Volcano 7+, and I've been getting very high temperatures lately... With the fan on its LOWEST setting, I get a case temperature of 28 degrees and a CPU temperature of upwards of 50 degrees celsius! Any idea why this is so high? I have adequate case cooling and I have applied Arctic Silver 3 to the CPU. It's only been about 2 days since I applied the Arctic Silver, and apparently there is a "burn-in" time for the compound which is 72 hours or more. Does that mean that my CPU temperature will get cooler after a few more days? Or is this another problem that I should look at? Thanks!

One thing I forgot--these temperatures are taken when the system is running Windows XP with a few programs running in the background. Not too much CPU activity going on.

Anthing up to 3 days it can take for it to cure though I wouldn't use less than MEDIUM speed but what are you cooling with it? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Oh... sorry I forgot that. It's an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ running at stock speed (1.4 GHz).

Comment

Wiggo, are you sure when he says lowest he doesn't mean it in the sense of coolest temperature as opposed to lowest fan speed? (As in I'm going to turn up the AC to make it cooler really means you are going to lower the temperature setting.)

Comment

Wow big difference.. the case temp and the proc temp.

Well form what they said wait a day or to for the compound to be totally set. And make sure the fan is at MEDIUM setting. Other than that I have no idea (i'm still a n00b).

Comment

How Arctic Silver3 did you put on? It only requires a very thin layer of it no thicker than a sheet of paper. ;)

Comment

Yes, more is definately not better.

Comment

I put on a fairly thin layer of AS3, and I followed the directions on the AS web site almost religiously, so I'm guessing I've applied the compound as properly as you could!

Comment

What motherboard are you using and are you having any probs with stability? :?:

Comment

I'm using an ASUS A7V266-E, and no, I'm not having any problems with stability. I'm just concerned that when I start playing games and running processor-intensive programs, the temperature will soar and my computer will be freezing like crazy! I just upgraded from the Dragon Orb 3 a few days ago and with it I was getting temperatures of 52 when idle (and since the fan doesn't have a fan speed control this was obviously at the highest speed). I was delighted to see that even on low speed the Volcano 7+ cools it better than the Orb 3, but I'm still concerned that it's getting much hotter than it need be.

Comment

Are you gonna tell him WiGGo or you want me to tell him...?

That ASUS Temp probe always read higher than what the temp really is...

Guess i told him...
                      - Damien

Comment

Really? Does that go for all the temperature probes on the board? And by how much are they usually off?

Comment

It's hard to say how much the error is. Get a digital DOC or something similar to monitor your temps.

Comment

Get a digital WHAT? I've never even heard of one of those... How much do they cost and where can I get them cheap in Canada?

Comment

Asus monitoring can be out a bit or alot but mostly a lot. Try looking for a CompuNurse as these are as good at measuring temps as DigiDoc's but much, much cheaper. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X