Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium3 650 mhz slot 1

I am building my own server and i have bought a
    p3 650 mhz slot 1 processor mounted on a Compaq board.
    Where is the fan?? I did not know that it existed computers above
    300 mhz without any cpu fan, the sink is huge though, the most freaky sink i have ever seen. To bad it seems to be a 100 mhz fsb model. How come intel have choosed to mount a fan on my 300 mhz slot 1 but not on this whitch speed is more than double vs the 300? Seems strange to me. Found the text now:
    650 mhz
    256 kb cache
    100 fsb

:rolleyes2

Most do have fans.
    I imagine Compaq discovered they could pocket an additional $1.17 per unit by installing a passive heatsink:shoot2:

You could always get a new heatsink and fan if you wanted to change to a more aggressive cooling system I suppose.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Maybe i'll do just that, but do you think i will need it?
      It is one hell of a heatsink there. MUTCH bigger than my p4 sink...

:rolleyes2

Comment

I am going to build the server as quiet as possible and therefore it will make me happy if it turn out that i would'nt be needing one... :)

Comment

I imagine it depends on the load you will be subjecting it to and airflow in the case, etc.
          You could always give the passive method a try - you can always switch to an active heatsink if you find the system is rebooting or bluescreening because of heat:?:
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

True, maybe i could let a quiet 80 mm Zalman fan blow air straight at the sink and make it run cooler if problem should accour...

:)

Comment

That should help it.

Comment

Working...
              X