No announcement yet.

Will Asrock have BIOS support for IOMMU for its 890FX Deluxe3 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Asrock have BIOS support for IOMMU for its 890FX Deluxe3 ??

All three of Asus 890FX boards support IOMMU in their BIOS -
    see these two links:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- IOMMU support in BIOS (like for Crosshair IV) ?
    and
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- AMD-Vi (IOMMU)

Now the world and his dog want to know what's Asrock's official stance on implementing IOMMU support in an upcoming BIOS for the 890FX Deluxe3!

If affirmative answer when approximately can we expect a beta BIOs to try out?

Please also take a look at this thread:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-8...-switch-39801/
    Last edited by Nizze; 06-10-2010, 11:09 AM.

Re: Will Asrock have BIOS support for IOMMU for its 890FX Deluxe3 ??

I contacted Asrock support several times.

First answer was: They don't support it because the chipset not supports IOMMU

Second anser was: OK, the chipset supports it, but the AM3 cpus are not supporting IOMMU

Third answer was: OK, Asus can do this we give it to our bios team

now: waiting for answer. I will post it as soon as I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by lt.cmdr.data View Post

Second anser was: OK, the chipset supports it, but the AM3 cpus are not supporting IOMMU

OK, can you give us the date for their last (3rd) reply ?

Comment

Originally posted by lt.cmdr.data View Post

That's funny, hopefully Gigabyte will follow suite as well :)

Comment

Bad news. Today I got an answer from asrock support:

Sorry for lat reply. Taiwan was still checking this issue. And they told us:
          Again IOMMU also need CPU to support.
          Till now, AMD has no plan to support IOMMU on desktop CPU (AM3 socket).
          Also "IOMMU" not list on our 890FX Deluxe3 specification
          Please 890FX Deluxe3 link:
          ASRock > Products > 890FX Deluxe3
          In feature, AMD release that CPU, we will borrow it, and test it.
          Any news will update to you.
          Thanks your mail.
          Best regards,

ASRock Support
          So they don't believe me that it is not a cpu feature, even an AMD man postet to the xen-devel-list:
          IOMMU doesn't require CPU support. It is a feature of chipset. I think Biostart means SVM feature of CPU, which is supported by Phenom II.
          I think we can bury asrock boards with 890fx :-(

Comment

Well, it's very unfortunate for us having to communicate with an offical tech support representative whose mastery of the English language and computer technology intricacies is at this surprisingly deplorable state. But I'm willing to have a go at it myself so tomorrow I'll be posting them an IOMMU ticket at http://www.asrock.com/support/tsd.asp.

I'll be back!
            Last edited by Nizze; 06-17-2010, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Hi!

Again information about Asrock 890FX Deluxe3.
              I got a custom made bios from asrock support today. I've tested it and after flashing there is a iommu option in the bios. After activation the pci passthrough works with xen.

lspci on hvm guest:

hvm-01:~# lspci
              00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
              00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
              00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
              00:01.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 USB [Natoma/Triton II] (rev 01)
              00:01.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
              00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Technical Corp. Device 1111
              00:03.0 Class ff80: XenSource, Inc. Xen Platform Device (rev 01)
              00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 20)
              00:05.0 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
              the last device (Intel HDAudio) was passed to the guest and works in virtual machine.

I send this bios to the xen-devel list and asked for a download link (and adding this board to the wiki list) at VTdHowTo - Xen Wiki. If someone wants this bios, send me a private message and I will mail it.

Jens

Comment

Great stuff indeed!

BTW there's a chipset cooling fan on the Asrock - how loud is it ? Could it be annoying (high-pitched) if otherwise silent CPU & PSU fans together with a fanless graphics card ?? (Maybe it's possible to switch it off for a non-overclocked PC ?!?)
                Last edited by Nizze; 06-23-2010, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Dear All,

The BIOS for 890FX Deluxe3 to support IOMMU has availabled to download.
                  BIOS to support IOMMU download link (L1.5F)

Best Wishes
                  Sean

Comment

It will be included in next BIOS release.

Comment

@ lt.cmdr.data

Unlike all the other 890FX boards there's a chipset cooling fan on the Asrock.
                      Maybe you - or any other Deluxe3 owner for that matter - could inform us about the fan's noise characteristics ? Would it be annoying (high-pitched) in an otherwise silent computer having silent CPU & PSU fans coupled with a fanless graphics card ? Maybe even one could switch it off for a non-overclocked PC ?!
                      Have you tried to control the RPM via the BIOS settings? Results ?

Would you please post your opinion on this issue.
                      Last edited by Nizze; 06-28-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nizze View Post
                        @ lt.cmdr.data
                        Would you please post your opinion on this issue.
                        Will post tomorrow. 18 hours working make me tired. Tomorrow I will install it for productional use and I will tell you.

Comment

Auf wiederhören und gute Nacht !
                          Last edited by Nizze; 06-29-2010, 02:51 AM.

Comment

ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 - Test, Review, Erfahrungen, Mainboard, AM3, Turbo UCC, BIOS, Overclocking - PCTreiber.Net
                            "Nach Informationen von ASRock kann der Lüfter auch problemlos deaktiviert werden, ohne die Garantie zu verlieren. Der Lüfter ist vor allem für Nutzer von Wasserkühlungen oder extremen Overclockingexperimenten gedacht. Der Grund weshalb man ihn nicht standardmässig abklemmt ist lediglich der, dass man unnötigen RMA-Fälle (der Lüfter dreht nicht) aus dem Wege gehen möchte."

So, if we can trust this german reviewer and his Asrock contact then all the non-overclockers among us can safely disable the NB fan w/o loosing the guarantee.
                            OK, I'm willing to believe this piece of information so I'll order a Deluxe3 tomorrow - only headache now is which AMD CPU to get. The release - or not release - of a quad-core Zosma seems still left hanging in the air...
                            Last edited by Nizze; 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

The fan is not really loud, so you can let it run. I have a (in my opinion very silent) cpu cooler on the board (Arctic Cooling), a Freezer X-Treme. And when I put my ear to the nb-fan and brek the NB fan by hand I hear nearly no difference. The CPU cooler in that distance is louder.

Comment

Working...
                              X