No announcement yet.

What 60mm fans for Desktop Athlon box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What 60mm fans for Desktop Athlon box?

Soon I'm going to build a Athlon XP2000 box and put it all in a desktop ( http://www.xtore.com.au/sub%20pccases18.htm ) case.

I'm pretty sure I'll need to add 2 extra 60 mm fans. My question is, what air moving capacity would I require? I could get either 26 cfm (cubic feet per minute?), 40 cfm or 50 cfm.

I'm not putting a lot in the case, just a Leadtek 64 MB Ti 4200, one 30 gig 7200 HD and a 16x DVD-Rom (plus an audio card & a Nic but those don't make much heat).

I do live in Brisbane, AU and got no air-con so it does get quite warm in summer.

Oh and if someone does think I'm nuts for even considering putting an Athlon in a desktop case (well, AMD doesn't recommend it) please let me know :)

I'm sorry but I couldn't say as I've never tried one of those cases. :?:
    But if you can keep a reasonable amount air flowing thru it I can't see why not. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I'm sorry but I couldn't say as I've never tried one of those cases. :?:
      But if you can keep a reasonable amount air flowing thru it I can't see why not but I don't think that I could stand the sound of 50cfm ones though. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wiggo's right, a 50 cfm fan sitting that close to you would most likely be very loud and the 60mm are especially loud.

Comment

Aww Krap!!

I assembled the system on the weekend and unfortunatelly I could not use the case, since thanks to Leadtek's "Unique" heatsink on the Ti 4200 I could not put the cover on the case since it was blocking it.

Maybe its just as well, since when I had a look at the fully assembled system (I didn't nice the bit sticking before then, so I had to unplug an remove all the parts :( ) it looked a bit dodgy air-flow wise. I'd probaby be having issues even with those extra fans.

Anyway, I did put the system in an oldish (2 years) Aopen midi tower, but I think I'd better upgrade to one with 1 or 2 80mm fan outlets at the back, since its already 30 degrees in Brisbane and its barely September!

Comment

Working...
          X