Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASRock X58 Extreme dead after 2 months? no video...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock X58 Extreme dead after 2 months? no video...

Long story short, I've had the ASRock x58 board for a little over two months and generally it's been okay.

At first, I was having issues with it recognizing all 6gb of memory... I got the XMS profile setup correctly for my memory, however upon booting, it would recognize either 2, 4, or all 6gb of memory. Other than that it worked fine. I ran many, MANY memtests on the memory, even tried other memory, and it always did the same thing... so it was obviously something wrong with the board. Yes I was using the right slots, yes I tried using one stick... anyway..

The current memory I'm using is this: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Anyway, my question isn't about the memory, even though RIGHT away the motherboard was having the memory issue, it was a big turn off.

Yesterday, upon booting, I got no video, and the computer beeped 8 times (which it never did before) and seemingly posted, the LED readout was 00, which means it booted to windows. The video card is indeed turning on. I tried reseating it, using 1 stick of memory, unplugged and plugging everything back in.. no changes. Tried a different video card, same thing. And by the way, yes, I'm using the right PCI-E slot. This issue just RANDOMLY started happening after having zero video issues whatsoever.

my video card: SAPPHIRE 100282-3SR Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

I've read about a couple other people with this issue and they've all said it's the motherboard. So, I'm guessing I have to RMA it? I'm quite dissapointed to say the least... this board is only a few months old...
    Last edited by bubblebop; 07-24-2010, 02:16 AM.

Re: ASRock X58 Extreme dead after 2 months? no video...

I am sorry to hear this :( were you overclockiing a lot? or maybe overclocking the pcie frequency? if so what kind of voltages were you running? I am guessing you tried resetting the cmos both with the button and jumper, checking the power supply, and other things of that nature. Was your power supply really old or low power/cheap?

The hardest I've pushed mine was 4.2ghz just for some quick benchmark runs. most of the time i ran between 3.36 and 3.8ghz. I've had it for 9 months now, and and I did have problems, but it was because the SATA cables i was using were bad. as soon as i replaced those, the problems went away.

Comment

Thanks for replying. This is a brand new build. Every component is brand new. Also, nothing at all was ever overclocked. Every component including the PSU.. case.. everything, brand new (as of a few months ago). Nothing was scrapped from another machine.

No, I didn't try resetting the CMOS... is there even a possibility it'd fix it? Guess I can try.

Comment

Hello,

You can try to insert your VGA card on another PCI-E slot then try again.
        If you have another VGA card on hand, you can try to change another VGA card to verification.

Best Wishes
        Sean

Comment

Thanks for replying Sean!

I tried the video card in the only other PCI-E slot available (the blue one) and got the same error: no video, and 1 long beep and 8 short beeps.

For what it's worth, I also tried removing the video card completely and booted up. Same thing happened, 1 long beep and 8 short beeps.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem, when computer is botting I have one beep and then 8 short beeps. LED display show me "00" code what it means:
            "passess control to OS Loader (typically INT19h)"
            when I reset CMOS - then the beeps are the same but on the LED: "85" code what it means:
            "display error for the user and gets the user response for error"
            now... when i reset computer one more time, beeps are the same and LED showing 00 from the first example.
            Please help, what I can do? I try to "reslot" my hd 5870 on every port and nothing, I also try another card (working card) and it's the same problem... What I can do more? I must give my motherboard to my store and RMA ? Eh..

*** SOLUTION *** on my PC:

Everyone who has this problem - please unplug the USB pins from the motherboard.
            Problem solved and the reason is poorly connected pins from USB...
            Last edited by parasite; 08-02-2010, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much parasite. Just built a new PC and I had the exact same problem with error code 85 on my ASRock X58 Extreme, same solution too - unplug the front panel USB cable from the motherboard and everything booted up normally.

It seems strange that the solution to a problem with the display is to unplug the USB cable, and it's also unfortunate since I was anticipating having front panel USB ports, but I guess it's better to have a working PC than two extra ports. Other than that my hardware works great, but at the very least, ASRock needs to cracking on this issue. I've encountered at least two other threads concerning this exact problem

Build:
              ASRock X58 Motherboard
              Intel i7 950
              EVGA GTX 470
              Corsair DDR3 1600 (4 x 2GB)
              WD Caviar Green 1 TB
              ASUS Black DVD Burner
              Antec Nine Hundred 2 Case

Comment

I'm glad to hear this geechee, nice build u have there :-)

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebop View Post
                  The current memory I'm using is this: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
                  I also am doing a new build with the Asrock X58 Extreme and this exact memory. However, I can not get it to post at all. It always stops at 2A on the debug LED. I have tried all the various memory slots and routines. No memory produces a continuous 3 beep cycle. I even tried using different memory I know works. (g-skill 2GBx2 F3-10600CL9D-4GBNS)

Has anyone found a way around this, or is it a DOA board?

Comment

did you leave mb battery out for 30mins and try? missing memory can be bent cpu pins too,or incorrect qpi/vtt or imc voltage(whatever asrock calls it) for the memory controller inside the cpu
                    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've cleared the cmos. I haven't left the battery out, but turned off PSU, unplugged, hit power button to clear capacitors (blue lights flashed then nothing), and used jumpers for more than 5 seconds, then reversed. I know it's not the CPU either. I checked that. Intel only goes in one way. (i7 930 btw) With or without VGA, moving memory through all slots, trying different memory, different vga...nothing has worked as yet. Always stops at 2A. I think I'll call newegg and return it. Maybe return memory too just in case, unless anyone knows anything else to do.

Comment

leave the cmos/mb battery out for atleast 30mins or overnight if that doesnt work,ive know a really bad blue screen or crash to take overnight battery removal to fix it so i would try that,cantsee what error 2a is on my mb its not listed does it tell you what it is in your mb manual? if its gpu detection then it could be faulty gpu and or badly corrupted cmos

battery removel is best way to clear cmos in my opinion,no need to mess with jumpers ect
                        Last edited by wazza300; 12-17-2011, 01:37 PM.
                        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X