Fix your broken ibm drive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix your broken ibm drive...

If you've got an ibm drive that fails on you don't use the warranty right away, try and fix it yourself first using their special software.
    (they will try and do the same thing anyway).
    Get the software att ibm.com on their storage section.
    Download it and make a bootfloppy disc out of it.
    (instructions at their site) I've tryed it and it worked on my crashed disc that made my compter fail to boot even with the troubledisc as a slave and a healthy one as master.
    My disc was making all kind of weird scary noises and then i formatted it with this tool and now the disk is working in my server like it was completley new... It was a special kind of
    "deep formatting"...

:thumb:

I'm glad it worked for you. :thumb:

But I hope it's just not a stop-gap measure to slow the rate of returns so they can catch up with repairs. :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

IBM120gxp whats the scuttlebutt on them

Comment

that's why my bro-inlaw swears by the ibm drives...cuz he can fix it with the software...
        SPAM Special Ops

Comment

You shouldn't need to have to fix it. They should work reliably in the first place.

Comment

True but i'm just glad it works for me now, i'm cooling it from now on...

Comment

"one HECK of a fix" No wonder they sold out to Hitachi.

Comment

Originally posted by drpeterbright
                "one HECK of a fix" No wonder they sold out to Hitachi.
                so is Hitachi going to make the same hard drives? Or will they make better drives ?
                SPAM Special Ops

Comment

that's why my bro-inlaw swears by the ibm drives...cuz he can fix it with the software...
                  You shouldn't need to have to fix it. They should work reliably in the first place.
                  ML is right, again. No offense E-Vol, but your Bro-inlaw is horribly mis-informed (or just ignorant of the problem?) if he seriously prefers IBM drives made in the last 2 years. Hard drives are worth NOTHING if they can't reliably hold the data I put on them, because, the data is MUCH more valulable than the drive, and if a Drive fails more than 1% of the time (much less 30-40% as with the IBM Deathstar's) I am absolutely NOT going to take the risk on it.

Comment

A friend of mine has a deskstar that is stuffed. What is the name of the proggie to have a go at fixing ?

Can you post a link please

Comment

Originally posted by E^vol
                      Just a guess, but it sounds like he's just doing a low-level format to delay the ineveitable, which is the Dethstars crapping out.
                      If I were having to keep fixing a particular brand of hard drive, I would stop buying them. This goes for any brand, which is why I avoid products by FIC and Memorex (save the CD-R/CD-RW discs).

Originally posted by The__tweaker
                      True but i'm just glad it works for me now, i'm cooling it from now on...
                      I had cooling on both my 60GXP's. Both are still very much dead despite this.

Comment

hi everybody

i've got a 40go 75gxp drive and it does the same clicking you all seem to experience...
                        would a low lovel format and cooling make it work normally or would it just be for a week ? does this solution damage the drive in any way ?

Comment

Well it wouldn't hurt the drive any more but the info on it will be gone. ;)
                          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

thanks, i'll try this maybe it will reborn from it's ashes...

for now i use it as a paperweight like so many of use (i have 2 or 3 folks down here (paris) that don't lose their paper anymore thanks to ibm ):cry:

Comment

Working...
                            X