What do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think?

Im running a AMD 1800XP+/MSI KT3 Ultra2/256DDR333/40GIG 7200 maxtor. Ive got a AMD heatsink which is keeping my CPU cool at 50c and my sys temps are around 40-45, i dont have any case fans and the panel is closed...i get great performance out of it, im wondering if this is hazerdous and if i need a few fans, although it doesnt seem like i do...

There are fans that are almost silent out there (they don't push lots of air but they do push some). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

If those are temps while under load, then you should be fine. I don't know what kind of case you have, but it is usually pretty easy to add at least an intake fan at the lower front of the case. Sometimes it looks like there is not much of a path for air to enter the way cases are designed, but after you clean those fans a couple of times, you know air is getting in. It is a quick, easy, and cheap way that usually knocks a few degrees of cpu temp.

Comment

40-45C is a little warm try adding an intake fan and reduce it to below 35. My rule of thumb is 2-4 degrees above your room temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilad
          40-45C is a little warm try adding an intake fan and reduce it to below 35. My rule of thumb is 2-4 degrees above your room temperature.

2-4 deg ?? man i dont think i have ever seen a cpu run at 2-4 above room temp under a load .

Not unless the entire pc is dipped in Liquid Nitrogen :)

Comment

Honestly i wouldn't worry about it...as long as you don't pass 55 or so...you are good...

Look into room temps and case cooling...see if you can get it cooler considering those factors
            - Damien

Comment

I don't even think I've seen my case lower then 2 degrees higher then room temp........let alone CPU.

Comment

You wont be able to keep at that level without watercooling, or lots (10 or so) of very noisy fans. 40-45 is quite warm for case temp, also 50C is a little high, so long as you arent going far over 50C you should be fine, you will start to experience stability problems due to heat at about 60C.

Comment

The absolute highest my CPU has ever gotten was 47.7C (118F), and this is under full load. I'm talking running programs that intentional burn the CPU. Usually on average though I'm running about 40.5C (105F)

Comment

Keep it under 50 & you are safe. (2-4 degrees above room temp would be great if possible)

Comment

I would add at least one case fan if I were you - & something to blow across your hard drive too.
                      the 7200rpm Maxtor's get pretty hot - I've RMA'd 9 so far that have failed due to heat. All of these were getting 10-16hrs/day of use - some in a RAID0 config. - but why risk it for the price of a bay fan?

Comment

It's too simple - Heat is the enemy - kill the enemy. Give all your components a chance.

Comment

I was talking about the case temperature. An Intake fan cannot reduce the temperature that much. Though I have succeeded in cooling the CPU to room temperature and below using water cooling. Obviously the crack with nitrogen cooling reveals the ignorance of the writer (at low temperatures doped silicone acts as an insulator). The safe operating temperatures of a CPU is between 0 to 65 deg C. Though it will preform best at the range of 20 - 55 deg C. It may surprise some but two different CPUs from the same wafer can have different optimal working temperatures within the above range.

Comment

Working...
                          X