Can I install 2 GB DDR2 RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I install 2 GB DDR2 RAM

I've a K8upgrade VM800 ASROCK motherboard, BIOS- 1.60 American Megatrends.
    I currently have 512 MB DDR1 RAM. I wanna know if I can upgrade to 2 GB DDR2 RAM. If I can, then do I need to add any additional hardware other than the RAM.
    It's actually confused me.
    As per this link it mentions only DDR1 ASRock > Products > K8Upgrade-VM800

However, if I check the K8upgrade VM800 manual (http://europe.asrock.com/manual/K8Upgrade-VM800.pdf) it mentions DDR1, DDR2.
    PLease help.

Re: Can I install 2 GB DDR2 RAM

I currently have 512 MB DDR1 RAM. I wanna know if I can upgrade to 2 GB DDR2 RAM.
    No. DDR has a different pinout than DDR2. DDR has 184 pins, DDR2 has 240 pins, and the 'notch' is in a different place, and even if the DDR2 memory module happened to fit in a DDR slot, it still wouldn't work because the clocks and overall configuration is entirely different.

You cannot use DDR in the same slot as DDR2; you cannot use DDR2 in the same slot as DDR. The sticks are physically different- you couldn't force a DDR2 stick in a DDR slot. It cannot be done without damaging the motherboard and/or the memory stick.

The "upgrade" is in reference to being able to use a socket 939 CPU in the socket 754 motherboard by using an adapter (I remember seeing the adapters for sale several years ago). However, the manual does mention DDR1 and DDR2 but it is referring to the 1st DDR slot and the 2nd DDR slot and not to DDR2 memory which had not been created when this board was marketed. DDR memory is never referred to as DDR1 - it is called DDR; DDR2 memory is always called DDR2.

You could install two 1gb DDR memory sticks. If you only have 512mb now, you would notice a huge increase in performance with 2gb DDR. I know money is tight for everyone these days, but the limited factor is your CPU - the 754 socket is basically obsolete... it's time to upgrade to some modern gear...
    Last edited by dlb; 08-28-2010, 02:15 AM.
    Asus M4N72-E; AMD PhenomII 955BE X4 @ 3.60ghz; 6gb DDR2-800; 750+320+250 SATA2 HDD; 2xDVDRW; Zotac GTX570 Amp! GPU; 900w Topower PowerBird PSU; Spire ThermaxII Eclipse CPU cooler; 4x120mm fans; 2x140mm fans; NZXT BetaEVO case; Win7X64

Comment

Working...
    X