ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 Marvell SATA3 BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 Marvell SATA3 BSOD

I had an ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 motherboard that I recently RMA'd to NewEgg because the Marvell SATA3 driver caused a blue screen of death when in the process of installing the drivers.

My setup consists of:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
    ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 motherboard
    AMD Phenom II x3 2.8GHz CPU
    8GB's (4GB x 2) Patriot G Series Sector 5 PC3-10666 1333MHz
    4GB's (2GB x 2) Patriot G Series Sector 5 PC3-10666 1333MHz
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 Hard Drive
    SATA DVD Burner
    Gigabyte GTX 460 video card

I am not running a RAID setup. The BIOS was flashed to 1.70 from the original 1.40 that came with the board.

The motherboard has 8 SATA3 ports and the WD drive is in the first sata port and the OD is in the 2nd.

When you get the BSOD Windows cannot reboot or repair itself either which means I have to start all over again from scratch.

Re: ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 Marvell SATA3 BSOD

My replacement 890FX Deluxe3 board came late yesterday and I was able to load the drivers this time without the BSOD. There is one thing that I did differently this time. When installing the AMD drivers I selected Custom and told it NOT to load the AMD AHCI driver. Then, when I loaded the Marvell driver it went without a hitch.

But. How do I verify that my 6GB's hard drive is working at SATA3 speeds? The Windows Experience Index is 5.9 on the hard drive. It was 5.9 BEFORE I loaded the Marvell driver.

Comment

I dumped the Patriot DRAMs

As it turns out the patriot DRAMS are INTEL only. Patriot says they will work if you dumb them down to half their normal speed.

I am replacing them with:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL

According to the G.SKILL product page these are compatible with 890FX motherboards.

I have a C2 revision Phenom II x3 720 2.8GHz CPU that may have an issue with these. May have to disable the Dual funtion in the BIOS and/or slow them down just a pinch.

Comment

Re: ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 Marvell SATA3 BSOD

I replaced the Phenom II X3 Step c0 CPU with the 1055T six core CPU and the Patriot RAM with GSKILL RipJaws F3-10666CL9S-GBRL (4 sticks) and so far everything is running smoothly with the CPU running at 3.5 GHz.

Comment

Working...
        X