KX7-333 memory question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KX7-333 memory question

ok... I'm building a system using the abit KX7-333 motherboard, and I have a question about the memory... it has 4 DDR DIMM slots... and it says in the manual that each slot supports up to 1024MB... however, it says that the maximum memory is 3.5GB. Now... somebody help me out here, maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, or perhaps my math is a bit off... but last time I checked, 1GB x 4 is 4GB.

Why is the maximum memory listed as 3.5GB?

Does the fourth 1GB dimm only count for half? Or can you only put in three 1GB's, and then 1x512 for a total of 3.5GB?

Also, it says 3.5GB max if you use registered PC1600 or registered PC2100... but 3.0GB max if you use registered pc2700....

Which would be better? 3.5GB of slower DDR? or 3.0GB of faster DDR? and why?

thank you so much to anybody who can help me out here

Well, it kinda depends what processor you are going to be using... i am also moving over to a 333 board. Not with 4 DIMM slots but the things that i've heard, some from this site, is that the AMD XP processors can't utilize the 333 fully because of their FSB speeds. I went ahead and bought 512mb DDR333 and am going to put it in my new system. I will see how it runs and you sound right about the 4 DIMMs: 3x1024 & 1x512. But that registered stuff makes me confused. I will get my new stuff in 5 days or so and I will benchmark it to hell and report back. Hope I can help you through my experiments!! Heh, heh.:afro:

Comment

The first 3 DIMM's can be used normally but to use all four DIMM's requires Registered Memory Modules to be use with 1GB modules in the first 3 DIMM's and 512MB module in the fourth DIMM. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Just surfin' and I noticed that some reviews are saying that the above mentioned is pretty much the same. The board I am getting (Dragon Ultra Platinum) supports 3 DIMMs and only two can be taken up if using PC2700. So if you want to use all four, (yipes?) then use the lower speeds to fully utilize all of the slots. Keep in mind that there is a point where your system can have more than enough ram to run everything in the world and three slots full of PC2700 seems fine to me and many others.... Besides, you're going to upgrade in two years or so;)

Comment

What are you doing that you need that much memory to begin with?

Comment

Working...
          X