ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 Storage Configuration in BIOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 Storage Configuration in BIOS

I have a question about the SATA3 drivers and drives. Should I enable the AMD AHCI BIOS under Storage Configuration? My hard drive Windows Experience is 5.9 with either a SATA3 WD 1TB drive or a SATA2 WD 500GB drive.

AMD SB850 SATA3 ports 1-6
    Marvell SATA3 ports 7 and 8?

Do I have this correct?

Re: ASRock 890FX Deluxe3 Storage Configuration in BIOS

Hi Dad,

I reckon you got 2 issues that need resolving after reading your earlier post last month.

ahci / ide compatibility mode vs. hacking the registry or reinstalling Windows.

All the current mainstream OSs (Vista, Windows7, Linux) can and should use AHCI which is basically how memory and storage communicate. AHCI also allows SATA drives to function with advanced features of the SATA spec. If you install Windows with the BIOS set to IDE (which is default in the BIOS, IIRC) , Windows won't load the drivers necessary for AHCI. If you try to turn on AHCI in the BIOS after Windows is installed, Windows won't boot.

SATA 3.0GB / SATA 6.0GB speeds vs. actual throughput.

Unfortunately for everyone that uses mechanical storage (hard drives), there will be NO benefit to using SATA 6.0GB hard drives on a SATA 6.0GB controller. Technically the SATA 6.0GB controller has this much bandwidth but hard drives come nowhere close to saturating even the SATA 3.0GB controller.

Now, when those SSDs get cheaper...

Comment

Working...
    X