Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 + GTS450 Compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 + GTS450 Compatibility?

Hi! I am looking into purchasing a Geforce GTS 450 for my computer which has a Asrock 4coredual-sata2 r2.0 mobo. Obviously due to the gts450 being a very new card and my motherboard being a few years old now it is not listed on the "gpu compatibility list" on the asrock website.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this or any other recent (geforce 400) cards and this motherboard. I assume the card should work even though its a pci-e 2.0 x16 card and my board has pci-e 1.1 x4, it will just run a bit slower then usual.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 @2.4Ghz
    2Gb DDR2
    Geforce 8400GS

Re: 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 + GTS450 Compatibility?

I was actually wondering the same thing, seeing as some users have reported successfully installing GTX 460 cards on PT880 Pro chipset "Dual"-series AGP/PCIe boards. It seemed the trick to getting those cards to work was to ensure the card you bought had a bios which supported PCIe 1.0 or 1.1 legacy mode compatibility (which is actually part of nvidia's reference design); trying to find this information overtly stated by some manufacturers drove me absolutely batty for 460 cards, but it seemed at least 60+% of them *should* work in those modes. Note that you also had to disable two bios settings pertaining to PCIe operation (I forget the exact variable names atm, though :(), and that windows might show the card as a generic display adapter, even though the drivers *would* install and be fully functional, with your GPU's true nature and capabilities being seen and utilized by most if not all software.

As for the GTS 450, I would presume one would have to do the same kind of digging to verify legacy mode compatibility. Some manufacturers make it obvious (see ZOTAC USA - It's Time To Play! and check their specifications for GTX 460 or GTS 450 models, for example), and others make it a little more complicated - like making you have to download a PDF information sheet or product manual to get information not provided on the product page (I'm looking at you, MSI! :P).

It's also worth mentioning that most reviewers have found that the GTS 450 has exceptional SLI scaling, to go along with its relatively low power consumption, temperatures, and operating noise. In fact, adding a second 450 to an existing one has been shown to provide performance around the level of a GTX 470 for a fraction of the cost, with only marginally steeper power requirements. With this in mind, you may evaluate if it is worth the move to an SLI-capable board that will also support your other devices, when you take the plunge with a new video card.

Comment

I was specifically looking at buying the GTS450 from MSI which states in its pdf manual that a pci-e 1 slot is required i assume then that this model has pci-e 1 compatibility in its bios.

Currently my 8400gs shows up on my computer as a generic VGA adapter but works perfectly fine (always wondered until know why this was though).

Comment

Originally posted by AntiFritz View Post
        I was specifically looking at buying the GTS450 from MSI which states in its pdf manual that a pci-e 1 slot is required i assume then that this model has pci-e 1 compatibility in its bios.

Currently my 8400gs shows up on my computer as a generic VGA adapter but works perfectly fine (always wondered until know why this was though).
        MSI's installation PDFs for their GTS 450 and GTX 460 cards bear an absolutely uncanny similarity, aside from the model numbers. That said, there is anecdotal evidence and screenshots of a user successfully running an MSI N460GTX HAWK on a 775Dual-VSTA board (which is extremely similar to the 4CoreDual-SATA2 aside from things like the audio codec and the SATA2 support). That would seem to bode well for the rest of their cards running just fine.

Please post your results if you go ahead and try it out - I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in hearing more concrete proof for/against any newer cards working with these boards. :)

Comment

Hey AntiFritz,

How did you get on with the GTS450 in the 4coredual mb? I have the 4coredual-vsta ver 1 and I was looking at this graphics card as well.

Cheers,

Wideeboy

Comment

Hi, i purchased the msi gts450 about half a week ago, and it runs perfectly. I had to disable an option in the bios settings for me to use my monitors native resolution and windows aero howerver.

Comment

edit: sorry for from coming back to this old topic...

Hi, i purchased the msi gts450 about half a week ago, and it runs perfectly. I had to disable an option in the bios settings for me to use my monitors native resolution and windows aero howerver.

Hi members,

I just bought gtx460dc 1gb from asus.
              I have 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 and this graphic card doesn't work well.

As you said, there is differences in the PCIe (1.1 vs 2.0).
              THE MOST important question is:
              - which option name exactly you have choose to disable some PCIe settings in BIOS. I have 2.20 version.
              I will appreciate any feedback.
              What I'm going to do as well is update mobo drivers from Asrock website (4in1_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP_2K(V5.11A).zip).

Turn to you with results.

Thank you!
              Last edited by silver001; 12-19-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I was actually wondering the same thing

Comment

Hello

Really hard to say it but...
                  I solved the problem... with buying new mobo.
                  I found an occasion from my friend... so I couldn't try it.
                  I change 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 to Asus P5Q...
                  and the difference is amazing...

It's simple. This Asrock's mobo doesn't fit to GTX 460 or similar card at all, maybe someone has the resolution for this.. but ... eh nevermind.

Thank you all

Comment

Working...
                  X