How to get some extra cooling out of your volcano 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get some extra cooling out of your volcano 7

If you own a volcano 7 with smartfan and you find that the fan doesnt really spin as fast as you would like, or anywhere near its maximum rate, there are a couple of things you can do.

1) turn the fan around and put the thermal probe in between the heatsink fins, its warmer here than were the probe is originally located

2) Solder the joints of the thermal probe together, so just bridge the gap between the red and yellow wire on the circuit board with some solder, or yank off the thermal probe and twist the wires together at the end. This will make the fan spin at max. RPM at all times, doing this i was able to get it spinning steadily between 5100 and 5300RPM, but the noise level at the rate is pretty annoying.

as a side note Do NOT cut the thermal probe, this will make the fan spin at 500RPM constant, and the airflow is minimal to nothing, in pulling off the thermal probe, if you want to reattach it later, take off the little black insulators and solder the metal legs of the thermal probe back to the red and yellow wires, and you will have variable fan speed going again.

I just did something else and that was buy a smart case fan 2 and fitted it. you can then either adust the speed manually or put the thermal probe under the heatsink on the top of the proccessor. the probe is very thin and flat and slides in fairly easily right up to the heat trasfer block on the cpu.DONT remove the h/sink to do this.
    the smart fan 2 has a better blade shape to move more air at lower speeds with less noise.
    before the mod wit a stanard vol. 7 itried the other 2 ways and only got small changes in cooling temps
    standard iwas getting idle 50 load 56
    probe in fins of h/sink 49 /53
    cutoff probe 46/ 50 but very loud(drove me nuts)

with smart fan 2 on probe at 2600rpm idle39.6 loaded 44@2880rpm
    I then put the variable switch on the old vol 7 and used it as a case fan that is variable between 1450-5100 rpm so nothing goes to waste.

Comment

heres some pics

Comment

fitting probe

Comment

smarties everywhere

Comment

sorry, this way up!!

Comment

the results!!

Comment

Looks great. No more room for smart fans?

Comment

I'm waiting on coolpc .com to get in the coolmods first.
                  I got a windowed side panel today and I'm waiting till I get the coolmods so i can cut a hole in the top and side for a bit of neon maddness!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I'm doing a series of photo's from start to finish so I'll post them in the case mod section in the next 2 weeks.

then maybe i can start using all this wonderful tech. stuff?lmfao.

Comment

the beginning

Comment

jack up the mouse and toss the case !!!!
                      replace with enermax 710b.(to be cont...........)

Comment

oh and back on the subject of the thread............
                        these smart fans are pretty quiet too! most of the time the case fans are running at about 1800 rpm.m/b temp 22.8.

Comment

It's gonna look fantastic.

Comment

Wow, thats great. I never knew the smart fan 2's were that good. I just wanted one because of the sexy fan grills.
                            Still have my cold cathode shining through them anyways :D
                            Would have loved to have done it like this mod
                            http://www.ocia.net/reviews/lan/lan.shtml
                            Never got around to doing it though i just have my light and the window, still looks good though :D

Comment

Let's see a pic of yours too M-KONG.

Comment

Working...
                              X