Need some pointers on overclocking my new Abit KX7-333R and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some pointers on overclocking my new Abit KX7-333R and

Sup ppl, I just got me a new Abit KX7-333R Mobo and Corsair XMS Cas2 pc3200 stick of 512. What I would like to know is where I should have my fsb/agp/pci divider settings at (4:3:1, 5:3:1?) and the memory overclocking. Any pointers, advice, etc. will be greatly appreciated. I have just updated my sig, so please help me! hehe. :?:

Oh yeah and Wiggo if youre reading this, I just bought me a Volcano 7+ with some AS3 and woah! My temps at night (21c ambient) for my cpu at idle are now 29-31c and 31-32c at load.

Oh yeah and if I'm using PC3200 memory, should I change the speed to 166MHz? Thanks guys.

Comment

Hey man whats up...nice to see you around...I myself have a KX7-333R from AbiT...w/ a 2000+. I would leave all those settings alone and look at just increasing you FSB. With my Volcano 7+ i can reach 150FSB with out a problem but not 100% stable. I have my 2000+ running at 148 with 100% stability with just a small voltage increase.

One time when i played with those multiplier setting i wouldn't boot and had to reset my CMOS.

Keep in mind that everychip and motherboard although carry the same name are always slightly different. Its all a matter of experimentation and trail and error.

Good Luck...keep us updated
      - Damien

Comment

Hey Flaco whats up? Nice to see u around also! Well as for my current bios settings, it was weird. Last night I set my bios to 'load optimized defaults' then i went into the softmenu 3, set the fsb to 148,
        divider on 5:2:1,
        enhance for benchmark: on,
        cpu fast decode: fast
        In Advanced Bios Settings,
        CPU L2 Cache ECC checking: disabled
        In Advanced Chipset Features/DRAM clock settings
        Dram timing: 2
        Bank Interleave: 4
        Precharge to active (trp): 2T
        Active to Prefetch (tras): 5T
        Active to cmd (trcd): 2T
        Enhance dram: enabled
        dram access: 2T
        and Dram cmd: 1T

With these settings and also my 8500 overclocked to 297/297 I ran 3DMark2001SE for about over an hour looping. Not one lockup or the sort. Everytime I rebooted it rebooted fine. 3DMark score was 9469 http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4343366

The funny thing is was this morning when I woke up and started up my rig, it wouldnt even post! lol. So I had to reset the cmos again and now I have it running at 143fsb with all the previous bios settings.

Seems like the 1800 only goes up to 148fsb stable on this board..hmm...but I think it's time to put the bad boy in...the 1600 (agoia 0213 'y') :D

One more question and i think this is important. I have 4 ide devices right? One IBM 120 GXP 80 gig hdd, one cdrom, one zipdrive, and one LS120 floppy drive. What is the optimal configuration for these 4 ide devices using the 4 ide channels. I had to install the highpoint raid driver and now i have the floppy and the zip as a slave on ide 3 and it's not even detecting it. Help me with this please? :?:

ok I'm done..hehe take care all

Comment

hehe on my 3DMark scores, my fsb was on 145, =)

Comment

Your floppy uses its own channel...it uses a smaller ribbon...i can't see how its a slave. If you are not usung your raid controller for a raid setup then i suggest you get cd rom as a master and zip as a slave on one cable and leave the hard drive alone with its own ide cable. Mixing cd rom with your hard drive might cause conflicts.
            So in other word you don't need to use your RAID ide channels for anything right now. The regular ide channels will be enough to support all your storage devices.
            - Damien

Comment

Thanks for replying again Flaco. My LS120 floppy doenst use the regular floppy cables. It uses a regular ide cable. I also know that using a cdrom as a slave to ur hard drive is a no no. I was just wondering if I could use all of the 4 ide channels on the board. Hmm, this is confusing. Neways, any more help would be cool, thx and take care all.

Jason

Comment

Yes, even though i have never used it that way; Highpoint Raid channels can be used as normal Ide channels. I have heard this from Morgan Lander.

Have you tried just using them without installing the Raid controller drivers. Again, i am not sure since i have never done it this way...but , logic tells me that just leave the controller's drivers alone and just use them as you were with the regular drivers.

Take it ez man: peace2:
                - Damien

Comment

haha I got it I guess....What I did was hook up my primary harddrive and the LS120 as a slave, then the CD-ROM and then the ZIP as it's slave, then I put another harddrive on ide 3 as a back up but I'm going to have to put my primary on ide 3 and the backup ide on ide 4 so I can have a raid 1 array. Oh yeah btw when you install a fresh os it prompts you to install the highpoint raid controller therefore having to install them drivers. But I guess if you want to use all 4 ide channels, you have to enable the raid controller. Man all this experimenting here and there...wadda headache! lol.

BTW I got my 1600 (agoia 'y') in and right now she's at 152MHz (fsb) this is with a locked chip...amazing and I think she has more to go!

Comment

Yea thats pretty much how i guessed it as well...ood thing you got it working for ya.:thumb:

Those are nice numbers for that 1600+...
                    - Damien

Comment

OK, done some more tweaking and now I got 10102 3DMarks!! Holy damn! This 1600 agoia is a cold piece of work!! Current fsb is at 169MHz and idlin' at 40c. Load was like 44c...I'm totally impressed. My 1800 couldnt go past 150 but 169??? I think she has some more 'oomph' left, lol. And to top it off this chip was 56 us dollars shipping and all. I think www.newegg.com still has the agoia 'y' and aroia 'y's in stock. good investment I think. Aiite take care.

Jason

Comment

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4105105

:geek:

Comment

i saw it man ...that is cheap for a chip..
                          - Damien

Comment

And a sreamer as well! :geek:

Comment

Working...
                            X