Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sound Card-Creative Audigy (Not Detected)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Card-Creative Audigy (Not Detected)

Have been having problems doing the install for my Sound Card. I have the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer.

I'm getting the following error message while trying to install the software for the card.

Error Message: "Setup Could Not Detect any Sound Blaster Card Audigy on your system.........."

Yes, I am using the Sound Blaster Audigy Installation CD that came with the card.

Yes, I did remove the card from the PCI slot and re-seated it (did this twice).

Yes, did move the card from the PCI slot it was currently in to another available PCI slot and still the same problem.

Yes, I did disable the onboard sound chip in the BIOS.

Bad Card or something else I should try?

Pic of error message below.

:cry:

BIOS pic......

Onboard Sound Chip is disabled.

Comment

Are there any audio devices listed in device manager? I wouldn't think that it would happen with a Soudblaster, but I have seen Windows mis-identify cards before, and then insist that it is not what it really is and not excapt the drivers. If there is an audio device listed, try updating the drivers, and use the Soundblaster drivers. If that doesn't work, disable whatever it thinks is there, then try installing the drivers.

Comment

bigjackusa,

Pic below of what I'm seeing.

I did delete the below items that had a "?" in front of them. Then rebooted the machine and put in the Sound Blaster Audigy Installation CD that came with the card but still having the same problem and same error message.

Device Manager showed the following items with a yellow "?" mark in front of them. (as shown in pic below)

? Other Devices
        ? Multimedia Audio Controller
        ? PCI Input Device
        ? Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
        ? Unknown Device

I also saw a major heading of "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" but I'm assuming these are for my GeForce 4 Graphics Card? I didn't delete these but wondering if I should and try to re-install as well?

Here are the objects under that heading but they look okay (no yellow questions marks in front of them).
        Audio Codecs
        Legacy Adio Drivers
        Legacy Video Capture Devices
        Media Control Devices
        MP-401 Compatible MIDI Device
        Standard Game Port
        Video Codecs

I also went to the Creative Audigy web site (URL: http://www.soundblaster.com) and downloaded a file called "AUDDRVPACK.EXE" which was a 12.16MB file for the Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer Card. This file is a Sound Blaster Audigy Series Driver Pack for Windows 2000 and XP.
        (Revision: AUD-WEBUP-W2-US, Date: 8/26/2002

Downloaded and installed this file but no luck. Still getting the same error message; "Setup Could Not Detect any Sound Blaster Card Audigy on your system..........".

Help?

Comment

Hmmmm,

Looks like a lot of people have had problems with this card and Windows XP.

Check out this URL:
          Shop online at creative.com for Wireless speakers, Bluetooth headphones, Sound Blaster sound cards, Gaming headsets. Free shipping on orders over £79.00

There's a lot of information on this thread but bottom line looks like people are returning their Creative Audigy Sound Cards for a replacement card.

Anyone know any more about this?

Comment

Try un-installing everything that has a yellow exclamation point and
            then try installing the drivers for your card. After you uninstall the exclamation points do not restart, just install from the downloaded driver.

Please post back if this helps or not.

vicvon

Comment

vicvon,

Just re-tried un-installing everything that had a yellow "?" in front of it (did not restart my system) and then tried installing the drivers from the installation CD. Still having the same problem.

Anything else I can try?

Did anyone check out this URL from United Kingdom?
              Shop online at creative.com for Wireless speakers, Bluetooth headphones, Sound Blaster sound cards, Gaming headsets. Free shipping on orders over £79.00

Any thoughts?

Comment

I looks to me like the drivers for the onboard sound are loaded. Try deleting everything but the video codecs from under the "sound, video, game controller" section. Look in the "add/remove software" section of control panel and see if there is anything listed that refers to audio, particularly anything for AC97, and uninstall it. Even though you have disabled the audio in the BIOS, see if there is a jumper on the motherboard that will disable the built in sound as well. Delete all of the items in device manager with a "?". REboot. Hopefully the sound blaster will be detected this time. If not, and the items with a "?" appear again, select the multimedia sound controller properties, and try to do an "update driver", directing it to the appropriate folder on the Soundblaster cd. If it finally sees it as a Soundblaster, it will automatically set up the rest of the cards features as well.

I use a Soundblaster Audigy Gamer in my machine with no problems.

Winxp Pro - clean install
                MSI K7T266 Pro2RU
                Athlon XP1900+
                Gainward Geforce4 4200 Golden Sample
                etc.

Comment

Tried everything and still no luck.

Booted machine into SAFE Mode and deleted the following items under Device Manager.

Under the Heading: "Other Devices"
                  Multimedia Audio Controller
                  PCI Input Device
                  Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
                  Unknown Device

Under the Heading: "Sound, Video and Game Controllers"
                  Audio Codecs
                  Legacy Adio Drivers
                  Legacy Video Capture Devices
                  Media Control Devices
                  MP-401 Compatible MIDI Device
                  Standard Game Port
                  Video Codecs

Then shutdown/restarted in Normal Bootup mode and canceled when prompt by Windows to install drivers for the device. Put the UPDATED drivers for Auidgy in CD-ROM and tried to install but same error message. Tried the card in both PCI 2 and PCI 3 slots.

Did look in "ADD/REMOVE software" section of control panel but nothing listed refering to audio and nothing labeled AC97.

Got so frustrated I REINSTALLED Windows XP Pro on my machine (selected new install option). Made sure the Onboard Audio was disabled in BIOS 1st this time. Not sure if that would remove all prior setting/drivers on hard drive but even after a new install of Windows I was still getting the same error mesage.

Thought about re-formatting my hard drive (nothing of any importance yet on there anyway) then doing a clean install of Windows XP Pro. That would certainly clear out anything I may have done incorrectly on the initial install of Windows. What do you think?

I have a feeling the problem is being caused by one or two things. When I first installed the OS I forgot to set the OnBoard Audio to disable before installing the OS. Although you would think what I've already done troubleshooting already would correct that issue.

The other possbility is a bad Sound Card. One of my friends is going to lend me his card (his works) and at least I can eliminate the possbility of a bad card.

Someone else mentioned to me to check IRQ availability as well but I'm not sure what I should be seeing. They mentioned I should see IRQ's from 0-15 but I see more than that and see nothing as "unlisted" (meaning it's available). I did remove one of the firewire cards in PCI slot 4 but that made no difference either when trying to install the software.

:confused:

Comment

There used to be only 15 irqs. Damned if I can remember whether it's a setting in the bios or winxp that allows for more. My Audigy is using irq 18 and the firewire port is using 19.

Comment

One of the guys from work is going to lend me his Creative Audigy Gamer Sound Card (identical to mine) and should be able confirm if this is a bad card.

My friend has the same Sound Card / MOB combination and has no problems.

Hopefully, I'll have the card tonight to test with. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Did run some more tests last night but the cards still not being recognized. Removed all cards from my machine except for the Graphics Card (GeForce 4 Gainward Card) and Sound Card and still had a problem. Tried all 5 PCI slots without sucess.
                      (also did a 2nd "New Install" of Win XP Pro and this didn't fix either)

:cheers:

Comment

Here is a pic of my Device Manager list for my Audigy. Maybe it will offer a clue. I'm running out of ideas!

Comment

In your BIOS, there (should/might) be an option called 'INT Pin Assignments'
                          When you select one of them (should be 4) the devices that are attached to it will be displayed to the right. If you select one and your sound card is listed as well as, say, your vid card or network card, then move your sound card to another pci slot. Slot 5 or 3 usually works best (depending on your mobo of course, and the location of your other peripherals)
                          In any case, try and get the sblive on its own, then boot into windows and open the device manager. delete the devices with yellow marks on them, and then goto the view menu and select 'show hidden devices' dubble-check the device area and remove any hidden sblive/other dubble-ups.
                          Reboot.
                          Windows should find the sblive and install its stocko drivers. Update them asap with the latest drivers from creatives web-page.

Failing that, you can always take the card out, reinstall winXP without the sound card (make absolutley sure the onboard sound chip is disabled) then install the sound card when windows has finished installing.

Comment

Bahamut Zer0 / bigjackusa,

Bear with me...........Here are my current BIOS Screens and some addn'l PICS to help troubleshoot.

My system is running BIOS vs F10.

Comment

More BIOS Scree Shots (these are in order).

Comment

Working...
                              X