Slow POST times and OS won't load when resetting P67 UD3 and UD4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow POST times and OS won't load when resetting P67 UD3 and UD4

I recently got a P67 UD4 board, and a P67 UD3 board that are exhibiting the same startup behavior.

If I boot up the system from a cold state (leaving the PSU unplugged for 10+ seconds, plugging in and pressing power) the system POSTs very quickly and everything works fine.

If I boot up the system from a warm state (reset button or restart in windows) then the POST is extremely slow (30+ seconds) and the system reboots where it normally displays "Starting Operating System..."

I've tried a different power supply, but that didn't make any difference.

Can anyone think of what would cause this type of behavior? Unplugging the PSU for 10+ seconds before each restart is a tad inconvenient.

Re: Slow POST times and OS won't load when resetting P67 UD3 and UD4

Is this behavior the same after shuting down the system?
    It is not very clear if the POST process or starting the OS is slow.

Comment

Yes, shutting down causes the same behavior. I need to remove power from the PSU completely and plug it in to get a normal fast boot up (POST+ OS). When it does boot up it is very fast.

If I don't unplug the PSU first, POST is very slow and the OS won't even attempt to load, it reboots itself instead and the process repeats.

The POST screen will sit there for 30+ seconds showing the processor information (in this case an Core i7 2600K). After the long pause, the memory info and detecting IDE comes up, then the screen clears and you see a single flashing cursor in the top left of the screen and the system reboots.

I am using an SSD drive w/AHCI enabled, boot logo disabled.. otherwise the CMOS is untouched with optimized settings loaded.

Comment

Last edited by ROSESTEEL; 02-11-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Try disabling all floppy drives and drive a,if the bios has those options,set hdd delay to 0 too and plug ssd onto Intel port 0,or first SATA 3 socket
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

No matter how long the system been shut down?
            I'd disconnect all peripherals and see if the problem consists, then plug them one by one.
            What SDD do you have?

EDIT: and what video card?

Comment

Chike, I'll have to experiment with leaving the system shutdown for a longer period of time to see if that has the same affect as unplugging the PSU. I'll do that tonight when I get home from the office.

I've got an OCZ Vertex 2 80G SSD drive, tried in multiple ports, SATA 0 and SATA 3 etc.

I'm using a GeForce 570 GTX EVGA card. I've also tried my old 8800 GT card with the same results.

It happens with both the P67-UD3 and the P67-UD4 boards, so there has to be some common denominator between the two. Maybe it's the RAM..? Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600. It's cheap RAM that came with the UD4 board from Newegg as a combo deal before the 6-series retrieval.

I went and purchased a new PSU last night thinking that might have something to do with it, but it didn't change anything.

Comment

Same SSD in both?
                I would try the peripherals first, just unplug them all and see if still the same, exluding the video card you have alerady repplaced.

Comment

Problem Solved.

Well, identified the problem at least. It turns out my Razer Naga USB mouse was causing the slow POST time and I think my USB Keyboard is causing the weird reboots.

I remember having a similar problem with my old mobo and my Razer Copperhead USB mouse that was later fixed with a BIOS update.

Thanks for the ideas all!

Comment

Nice to see you got it sorted out!

Please send in a report if you don't mind, that way they are aware of the issue. Thanks!
                    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

Comment

Working...
                    X