SATA / Windows XP problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA / Windows XP problem

I just upgraded from an ASUS M4A78T-E m/b to an Asus M4A89GTD PRO USB3 board.

I moved all 5 SATA drives (4 HDD, 1 CD/DVD), with Windows XP SP3, to the new system.

The BIOS recognizes all drives, and all are accessible using Ubuntu, booted from a CD.

But Windows no longer recognizes any drive connected to either of the SATA (5 & 6) ports positioned horizontally on the m/b. I've tried three types of cables (two SATA 3 and one SATA 6) - none have worked, with either the HDD or CD/DVD drives.

Any ideas?

Re: SATA / Windows XP problem

You moved the drives from the old system with Windows already installed? That probably won't work so well being as they use 2 different chipsets( AMD® 790GX / SB750 Chipset to AMD® 890GX Chipset). Have you installed the drivers for your new motherboard? Best bet when switching motherboards is to back up all important information and reinstall your Windows installation...
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, PrairieDawg.

"You moved the drives from the old system with Windows already installed? "
      Yes.

"Have you installed the drivers for your new motherboard?"
      I did, but I had problems with Windows starting - needed activation, but neither keyboard nor mouse was working. I had to boot in safe mode and wait while it "discovered" new hardware and installed it's own drivers for the mouse and keyboard.

Since it didn't recognize hardware it had been using for some time, I think I will now install the ASUS drivers again.

I hate to go through the reinstall ordeal, so if I can't resolve this, I'll probably replace two 500GB drives with one larger one, reducing my need to only 4 ports. Not elegant but ...

Comment

You should be able to boot from xp dvd and do a repair,then it should fix/install any drivers ect
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X