My No Offence Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My No Offence Question

I ACTUALLY FROM A FRIEND OF MINE RUNNING LINUX DISSCUSION GROUPS AT BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSTORES USED TO BE EXPOSED TO LINUX'S ALLEDGED GREATNESS

THAT WASS LIKE 4 YEARS AGO - IVE GOTTEN A PC SINCE THEN - LINUX IS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND - ON THE GAMING SHELF - THE 5 GAMES THAT ARE OUT I HAVE ON THE PC - SO WHY THE PENGUIN? WHY LINUX?

I MEAN THIS IN THE NICEST WAY IM SO CURIOUS - BUT CONFUSED AS TO WHAT THE HELL YOU WOULD DO WITH A LINUX BASED SYSTEM - WHAT PLAY QUAKE III?:shoot3:

No need to bloody shout mate.
    p-two.net

Comment

sorry - cheers:shoot3:

Comment

If I had to answer that question, my first answer would be stabliity. I can't remember where, but Microsoft lists the number of days that Windows can go without a reboot. I don't have the exact numbers, but, Windows 9x were like 6 days, WinNT and 2000 were around 30, and WinXP was around 45. It seems like everything you do on a Windows machine forces you to reboot. <sarcasm>Oh yeah, i just saved this word document. I must reboot</sarcasm>. The thing I like about linux is you don't have to reboot unless you do something to the kernel or something of that nature.

Security. Ever seen the ammount of security holes they find in Microsoft products? There's at least one a week. Linux, virtually none. And if there are, they're fixed a hellova lot quicker than in the Windows

Lastly, it returns control to where it needs to be. Me. It's my computer, I don't want some company or software telling me what to do with it.

Did I mention, it's free. Licencse

You're right about the gaming front. that's what kept me away from Linux for a long time. That doesn't matter to me though. As computer games have never held a candle to console games. All I can say is Metal Gear Solid/2. But, Quake 3 on Linux obliterates Quake 3 on Windows. On the exact same machine.

Later

Comment

At least with Linux you can look around the web and know that yopu are reasonably secure (not totally) and not have to worry about all the Window$ vulnerabilities etc etc and having to continually patch the M$ seive.

Bill

Comment

its bold to say that pc games dont hold a candle to console titles - ive been a console guy my whole life - atari to ps2 (sorry no xbox - ever) but really metal gear solid 2 was - well...boring and a let down to most just like final fantasy x was trash - granted pc games are just now really trancending console limitations - my gforce 4 enabled rig blows apart and and every console ever made probably more than all those sissy machines combined - im moving into a new place and the first things i sold for extra cash - ps2 and gamecube - why? i still come home to counterstike jedi knight ii solder of fortune 2 f1 2001 madden 2003 medal of honor warcraft ii the sims il sturmovik galactic battlegrounds - i bought a high end pc in feb just to play medal of honor and return to castle wolfenstein - fully optimized @ 16x12x32 - since then ive learned so much like 12x10x32@85htz refresh is optimal for me - read that 12x10x32 - thats twice the resolution of anything on any console. period - and1.8 ghtz is like six and a half times the processing power of a ps2 2 and a half times an xbox (xbox- just a nforce mobo in a black x shaped box) and all the multiplayer thing you can do with pcs you just cant with consoles - ive played ps2 online - it isnt pretty - seriously you cant appreciate crash bandicoot and mario as gaming experiences next to say morrowind or medal of honor - games like this are few and far and when fully optimized with the dolby digital turned way up they bleed of a gforce4 enabled 19 inch monitor

i guess ill save my breath for the next round...:shoot3:

Comment

Ok, I would like to say that I'm not pissed. But, you have found one of my pet peeves. Here we go.

That's funny though that out of my whole argument, all you got was that PC games don't hold a candle to console games. I mean really that was a linux question.

I've also been a console gamer my whole life. Same era as you, Atari to PS2. You should consider yourself an intelligent gamer then. But, why would you play these mindless games? I don't know about you, but I like to play games with stories. I'm not saying I dislike any of these games, I actually like a few of them. But, Half life had an ok story, Counter Strike had none. Jedi Knight, SoF2, MoHAA, had weak stories. Don't even get me started on sports games, they're not games. The Sims, again is there a story. I avn't played Il Sturmovik or Galactic Battlegrounds. From what I hear Il Sturmovik a World War II era digfight. Sounds good, but story's been reused too many times. I'm sorry but the stories in console games as a whole are better than those on the PC.

The argument that you're powerful computer is near double the speed of these consoles is moot. BECAUSE IT'S NOT. Actually, your Geforce 4 rig would barely make a mark on one of these consoles. It would not stand a chance against the newest. You and other people need to stop focusing on speed ratings and learn the truth before you bring that argument. People just went ape when they saw the XBOX had a 733MHz Celeron. They were like, it's gonna be the most powerfull. IT'S NOT.

Comaring CISC and RISC processors is not even a comparison. If you have an 800MHz CISC processor, and an 800MHz RISC processor, the RISC always win. If that's the situation, RISC processors are roughly double the speed of CISC processors. CISC = complex instruction set computer(ing) , these are processors like your Athlon, and that insanely weak, high clocked chip in the XBOX. They have to be double the speed to even attempt to keep up with RISC processors. RISC = reduced instruction set computer(ing). Processors like big boy, Alpha, and the Emotion Engine in the PS2, or the Power PC in theGameCube. They just own little CISC chips. Check this out. Now I'm in no way an Apple fan, but their article is not biased and describes my point exactly. http://www.apple.com/g4/myth/

About multiplayer on Consoles vs PCs. Both are gonna suck if you have a stupid connection. You're telling me that you dont get high pings on your PC when using a dialup? I'll tell you what though, I'm using my broadband connection, and it works fine. I would even go farther to say that the games are more even. Except for the connection, You're all on equipment of the same power. I havn't heard anyone say "I'm getting low frame rates, that's not fair, your computer is faster than mine."

You're telling me that you get as high polygon models with your PC as I do with my consoles. I think not. Games for the PC don't even get close to the pushing number of polygons on screen as today's consoles do. I'd like to see the PC that can calculate 6 million polygons on screen with full effects at 60 fps. There isn't one. I also don't care if you get 255 - 300 FPS in Quake 3. That game takes no processing power. It's models are not complex. High FPS don't count if you're rendering only 10 polygons.

It's also funny that you mention to me that you're running these games fully optimized @ 16x12x32. I admit that's a nice machine you have. It's nice that you can play at these resolutions. So can I. I'm sure you're running at those resolutions with max effects on and getting good FPS. But the level of the detail still doesn't come close to what consoles provide. On your PC, it's not good that you're taking more power to put more on the screen and basically "squeeze" the pixels together. It's still the same level of detail. Just "squished" to look crisper. I know those aren't techinical terms, and the that the actual pixels don't move. But you get what I mean.

Comment

Wow.. this is bringing back some memories from the gaming forum. If you guys wanna continue this, i'll move it, otherwise can we sorta stick with LINUX here?

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                  Wow.. this is bringing back some memories from the gaming forum. If you guys wanna continue this, i'll move it, otherwise can we sorta stick with LINUX here?
                  I totally agree Beefy. This has nothing to do with linux anymore, so I'm going to close it and you guys can start a thread in the gaming forum if you want to keep arguing.

EDIT by Beefy: Moved it anyways, so they can keep going at it.
                  p-two.net

Comment

OK, this has been all said before, but I'm gonna chuck in my 2c as well..

Console gaming and PC gaming are really very different. With console gaming, developers know what they are working with, so they can do the best they can with the system and not have to worry about incompatibilites, whereas with PC gaming, there are so many different types of computers out there, made of up many many different variables, that PC game makers have to make games to suit their market, which is usually no where near full specification to some of the high end machines. They also have to make sure it is fully compatible with the majority of parts out there, which usually leads to cutting back on nifty little features that only some PCs will support. That's why we haven't seen any true DirectX 8 games yet, and probably won't until the new generation of things start coming out, like Doom 3.

So comparing game through graphics between console / PC is really a waste of time.

This argument has been had before, but i'm quite willing to go through it all again...

Comment

its not graphics - its immersion - ive owned about 60 ps2 games and 15 gamecube games - ps1 i stopped somewhere after 120 - pound for pound the snes may have had the best games of my childhood - but come on - name an xbox game besides halo worth playing - for that matter name more that 10 'anybody must own' ps2 games and the game cube???? name 3

arent you guys loyal? ive dogged on pcs all my life full well knowing bith sides to the argument - and the point is that im finally experiencing what all the liars at sony and nintendo promised me FIVE years ago - i had the dream cast online (lame) and i dont have an athlon and i dont use dial up - i dont have like 1500 downstream and 256 upstream to play twisted metal against one other person at a time (if its 4 dont bother correcting me - read - 4 people) madden ran choppy at best - it wont have patches - and my pc version smokes the ps2 completely - only the xbox one was as good - know that i dont like sports - i just got it to show my console die hard buddies how good it looks
                      bugs patched gta3 on the pc smokes the ps2 so does tony hawk with a controller

and i dont play at 16x12x32 - i play at 12x10x32@85 refresh thats optimal for my monitor

playing pc games has been more fun and i think right now as we argue this crap the market is in transition - consoles are becoming little pcs - and pc gaming has grown up - and i have direct x 8.1 titles to prove it - plus for story - morrowwind or neverwinter nights spiderman dungeon siege

i just wondered some things about linux and im very passionate and knowledgable on these things related to consoles

play medal of honor frontline and say you dont feel cheated compared to medal of honor aa even stuff like quake iii ends up over a year or more late and looking like a$$ on the ps2 and if the excuse is that its a lauch game......

dont even start with that - biggest buch of bs ever - buy a 300 $ system with like 200 $ of controllers and stuff to play rushed games for a year - finally a few good ones around the holidays and then zip till summer - repeat for 2 years till the system has 1-2 years left and just hope it was a viable platform

oh dreamcast (sigh) i cant for the life of me come up with an wxceptional game ive played in like a year on anything - but that doesnt give sony and nintendo the edge - ive almost studied all of this stuff over the years and i understand the console conundrum

risc cisc aside wheres your same title example of a better game executed on a console - and as for platform exclusives.....

really aside from the mgs2's and gran turismos is it all enough to claim its superiority? my potential is greater and the market has promised great things to come whats sony and nintendo bringing you? - starfox? will zelda and mario be enough - till metroid potentially flops - and sony? oh sony what happened? i had such faith till the dust started collecting and you star felling dumb for all the 50$ duds you bought

and for all who read this and think i buy things like knockout kings or other trash - i dont - i buy the best games across all genres and platforms - i live and breath this crap[ and i know for a fact that as slick as it was...

mgs2 was boring overhyped over produced and a huge let down:shoot3:

Comment

know that i come here to learn and debate at best - not argue - we all have our own opinion - some stronger than others - but somewhere reality comes into play - and when youre a gamer you go where the best games are - even with my staunch anti-xbox stance id still buy one if some truly must own must play games come out - but lets face it when halo ships for the pc it will be glorious (well...as glorious as halo gets!:)) and when star wars galaxies comes out i wont be struggling with it on a console with a bunch of dial-up monkeys - and star wars kotor? please again with the halo example - when it does ship for the pc a year late ill be satisfied in knowing what a tool i wasnt for the likes of m$ or sony - my inpatience will not win out and force me to waste hard earned $$$ on a stack of stuff with green x's on it - the ps2 had such promise - in 2000 - now you might as well install one in your dashboard cause its so out of steam it seems right now

im off my own point - consider the last 5 great games you played ? what were they on? does that mean all else is dead to you? and does most fun = best i have a gba so i go where the fun is ive played on my snes WITHIN the week

all i can see is unreal2k3 doom iii unreal ii and quake 4 right now

and god bless the nv30's and direct x 9

heres to all who think the pc ripped the arse off of console gaming in 2003
                        :shoot3::cheers:

Comment

i just skimmed through all of that (too tired to read it all), but from what I could basically pick up was that you, like most people, play games for the experience.. In which case it's not really the device the game is on, it's how easy you can relate / immerse yourself in it.

Which, in turn, has nothing to do with console vs computer, or OS vs OS.. :)

As for the same title argument, it usually boils down to how well people adapt to the certain system. Some people prefer to use a control pad to play games, where others are a natural with keyboard / mouse. Just because a game looks better on PC, doesn't mean it plays better. I, for one, prefered GTA3 on PS2 compared to PC. It didn't look as nice as the PC did, but the controlling method let me play the game the way I know best.

Comment

Lemme rephrase my argument. Everything that Beefy said is the short way of want I wanted my point to be. I didn't mean to get drawn into a debate about the hardware or what systems can do what. The hardware doesn't matter, if the games suck. It really is the games. I go where the games are. That's why I own a PS2, GameCube, XBOX, and a PC. As well as everything before it except for a Virtual Boy. Hah, no good games for that thing.

They all have good games. I know that everyone has their own tastes in games. I like MGS2 and FFX. Those are the reaons I go to my PS2 among other games. GameCube, I go for all their franchises. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. XBOX, I go for well, Halo (I am looking forward to it on the PC though, cause they didn't include internet play on the XBOX version), DOA3. For my PC. I used to go insane on Counter Strike. I play SoF2, RTCW, and GTA3.

Ok, I'm done. I'm not replying to this thread again.

Later

edit: and I am looking forward to Unreal2 and Doom3.

Comment

ya know i guess id say that again i dont come here to argue its to learn - im sorry i guess - just know im a hard sell on the console issue right now cause ive lost faith due to years of false promises and un fufilled expansion ports

the worst part is knowing im right - and that you are too - in ways
                              i used to be the 100% console guy - but in late 2001 - mid 2002 - pc gaming pulled away a bit and grew up - pcs could finnaly run a platform game or a sports game like a console - not that they ever would but tekken would run great on the pc - i just dont see the use of trying to get middle america (read this localized as 'the normal guy') to basicaly trojan horse themselves a small pc for increments of cost when sony and the gang rake in big dough for soft titles - i just find the pc experience so much more rewarding - admit that your fabled mgs2 would look pretty fantastic in constant eax or dd surround sound at 12x10x32its just strong to say pc gaming doesnt hold a candle to console gaming in the year that console gaming fell apart

im not the only one felling it - anyone who i know who i had read all this thinks that something is definatly biased when your name is fa-mas - can you set your love of mgs2 aside for a clear look at the state of gaming in general? didnt ffx leave a real bad taste in your everything compared to well 7 8 or 9 for that matter?

and how come pc gaming had the best turn out this year at e3
                              and wheres that grand list of all the 'next generation' console titles that are 'everybody must own' games

must i take a bath every 3-5 years in product just to satisfy 5-10 games of pleasure - see i get email on this pc too and tv dvd music - it truly is the set top bx-beside my desk- that those liars at ms sony nintendo 3do and all the others have promised for years?

why should i wait for the console generation to catch on? they seem to all be playing counter strike anyways...game developers have figured it out too - the pc is getting more and more of its fair shake when it comes to budgets and prospective titles - and console ports to pc are getting more frequent

risc cics those little boxes cant even fit most of the games i play in them - i grew so tired of shrunken levels - and trimed charachter modeling to fit in the envelope that is console programming

do i sound uneducated on the subject so far?

i cant be alone in this view

hey beefy - you try gta3 with a controller on the pc? it helped alot but i tried like 3 before i settled

i would keep this going if i felt it served a point even if its to debate - ive admited my love and dissapointment with consoles i grew up playing them - ive grown up now:shoot3:

Comment

Working...
                              X