Processors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processors

Alrighty I think this thread may create heated arguments from die hard fans of either Intel or AMD but here goes!

At the moment just looking at prices of CPU's a AMD Athlon XP 2200+ is around $360. A P4 2.4Ghz 533FSB is selling now for around $420.

Now for an extra 60 bucks one would be getting a processor that is probably faster in most respects, probably more overclockable and one can actually build a fairly quiet computer as the P4s run colder.

Now the rest of the components of the system are the same except for the motherboard of course and they are around the same price anyway.

Now we hear people questioning people about why people are getting a P4 cos an AMD is cheaper but by my calculations an AMD system is only say 60 bucks less.

Now I'm not saying AMD is crap or anything and am actually indifferent about what i will use in my soon to be new computer but I just thought it would be interesting to hear some of your views on this matter since the price difference is no longer the right justification to get an AMD system now.

Posted by buckchoi
    [b]Now for an extra 60 bucks one would be getting a processor that is probably faster in most respects, probably more overclockable and one can actually build a fairly quiet computer as the P4s run colder.
    Don't believe that P4's run cooler as that's a myth. In most cases now the P4 will produce as much if not more heat than the Athlon range. ;)

As to why I follow AMD, I've been building PC's now for 4 years and when ppl see the quotes that I give them for equivalent AMD and Intel systems in 99% of cases they choose the AMD quote (the other 1% were PIII based PC's and mainly Celerons). : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Hmmmm interesting Wiggo

Well I've got 2 choices then at the moment.
      I was thinking either Athlon Xp 2200+ and Epox 8K5A2+ or P4 2.4ghz and Epox 4G4A+.

I hear that the new Via chipset with DDR400 support is pointless so that Epox above seems fine to me :)

Oh and as for future upgrades......the P4 is going to stick with the current motherboards for a while right? How about the Athlons......if i get an Athlon now am i stuck with no option to upgrade to much faster CPUs in the future?

Edit: oh and would the performance of the two systems above be quite similar?

Now just to keep on convincing Dad to get a new comp hehe :D

Comment

Appearently, both Intel and AMD will require new mobos for upgrades to the chips that will be coming soon. Intel says that motherboards will have to have a design change (power requirements) to handle chips soon after they reach 3gz. And the new Hammer chips from AMD will require a new socket.

As far as Intel and cool running goes, what do you think of needing a heatsink so large that you have to bolt it to the mobo? (And before anyone brings it up, yeh I know that you can get AMD heatsinks that bolt to the mobo too, but the are not stock and you don't have to have one to run at standard speeds.)

Comment

Hmmm yeah i'm swaying towards the Athlon system.

Damn so either system is going to become obsolete soon. Does anyone know the kind of time frame before the new Athlons or P4s for that matter are released?

Cos if it's not that far off then I may just hold off on the new comp a little longer.

Comment

I think it would be safe to say that that athlon XP 2200+ would be able to beat that P4 in quite a few benchmarks, the P4 would be more overclockable, and P4 motherboards do cost more. Also intel is not going to stick with socket 478 for much longer, the last P4 is going to be either the 3GHZ or 3.2GHZ, and after that its whatever intels new chip is, atleast thats what i heard.

Comment

If you are worried about the pc becoming obsolete or superceeded (excuse the spelling as i am drunk )
              AMD and associated products are cheaper. CPU is cheaper. And also, you are wanting a top performance PC. So you going to ned to buy RDRAm which is dam expensive compared to DDR, or even SD.

Comment

The next speed jump for the Athlons will likely bring the 166MHz FSB to us and 85% of current KT333 mobos will support these with a BIOS flash at most, even the rumoured "Barton" with 512KB L2 cache (which is also close according to those same sources) will most likely run in >65% of current KT333 mobo's also, so unless some new plans like a 200MHz FSB come about then a lot of KT333 will see it to the end of Socket A life. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Interesting guys :thumb:

So wiggo any idea if the Epox 8K5A's will support this 166FSB??

Damn hate it when one needs to get a computer when everythings changing!! haha dunno to wait or not to wait

Comment

Dammit, the KT333 boards came out like 1 week after i bought my board (KT266a). Are any of the new chips gonna work on KT266a?

Comment

Working...
                    X