Computer turns on by its self

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer turns on by its self

My friends computer turns on by its self. I checked the motherboard settings and it is not set up to turn on when the modem rings or when the alarm goes off. Nothing in windows scheduleed tasks is causing it either. If you have any ideas on what could be causing this tell me. I thought it might have something to do with his t.v. but I don't know. Thanks.

Cleared the cosmo, and it went away.

Comment

Also "Power on by K/B" can cause this if it's enabled. ;)
      <center></center>

Comment

UUUh how to power on by keyboard?

Comment

its all in the bios - keyboard & mice can be used to turn on the computers
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

we have a wierd problem like this at work, maybe its worth considering external devices connected to the PC, at work we have some PCs that dont like the serial scanners hooked up...when the scanners are plugged in, the freaky PC will turn on, straight away or even after 5mins, its randon too :D

the other thing is that we had 50 PCs with the same config as the one mentioned above, and only some of them have the "persistent on" problem, we concluded that it was a motherboard specific design flaw, and our fix has been to switch the ones without scanners, with the ones that do have scanners but don't work, eventually, we have ended up with 10 that don't have the problem, and about 8 that we know do, and they are nolonger attached to scaner...

Comment

:?: May need to call a PC priest, poltergists..............

Comment

Originally posted by jcdaniel1
                My friends computer turns on by its self. I checked the motherboard settings and it is not set up to turn on when the modem rings or when the alarm goes off. Nothing in windows scheduleed tasks is causing it either. If you have any ideas on what could be causing this tell me. I thought it might have something to do with his t.v. but I don't know. Thanks.
                could it be just a very efficient comp ;)
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Try disabling the power management both in the bios and in windows......conflicts between these 2 can cause some real probs.

Comment

With settings do I have to change in bios to power on by keyboard?

Comment

Look through the manual to see if your board supports settings such as "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Keyboard". Some do, and some don't.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I will try these.

Comment

its a compughost...lol
                          j/k

hf

Comment

Unplug it or turn it off by the powerstrip?

Comment

In the bios you can set wake on xxx events.

where xxx can be anything from pci activity, keyboard/mouse, serial port activity, hdd activity, lan, dma acess, ring (from telephone/modem) and a few others. Disable the one that you dont want to turn your machine on.

6 times I went out today and everytime i came home my machine was turned on. There was nobody in the house other than the dogs....and despite MS saying its the most simple OS to use yet, they cant use windows xp. :D

Turned out I had wake/power on by ringin. Somebody was trying to call me and my modem was hooked up to the line. That call turned my machine on.

Comment

Working...
                              X