How reformat and install Win 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How reformat and install Win 2000

I am running Win 98 now. I want to go up to win 2000.

How do I reformat from win 2000 boot disks? How do I install Win 2000 (ie. is there anything tricky about it)?

Can you provide any links to sites that address this?

Thanks

If ya got the right 2K CD you can boot from the CD and do what ya want with the drive that way. ;)

Comment

ok there is no 2000 boot disk just use a 98 one... put it in and b00t from floppy type: format c: /s and then yes.. when this is down reboot ur computer with the 2000 cd in the drive and make sure it u hve it set to boot from cd in the bios.. and there u go .. nothing tricky tho 2000 takes ages to install and may repeat some steps for no reason at alll :afro:

Comment

You dont need a bootable floppy disk !!!

Windows 2000 is a bootable OS . Just set ya bios to boot to the cd first and you can format and from the disk .

:bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:

Comment

or if that doesn't work, you can download the boot disks (just search for boot disk) or there is a utility to make the boot disks on the cd
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

If the 2k cd is not bootable, try using a win98 boot disk with SMARTDRV. In bios, set it up so your floppy is the first boot device.
            then in dos type 'SMARTDRV' Then FDISK to create/delete ur partitions, then format by typing 'FORMAT C:' After formatting it will tell u to restart the comp. Leave the floppy in again and start the comp with 'CDROM SUPPORT'. Then in dos again type "SMARTDRV" again. Then change ur directory to "E:\" After that type "CD I386" After that it will say "I386" Then type "WINNT" Now the cd should copy the set up files to your harddrive and go from there. =) Hope this helped.

Comment

SQ-XcON S13 i would say that from the start JMC 123 is new to installing OS`s so that may be a little to complicated for him. He hasnt come back to say it has worked or to say thanks

Comment

Didnt realize that, no problem, my apologies.:cool:

Comment

Thanks everyone. using win98 boot disks just like a 98 reformat seems best. i haven't done anything yet because some say my old ati all in wonder pro card/drivers might not work as good as with 2000 as with 98.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X