Z68-UD4-B3 versus a P67 solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68-UD4-B3 versus a P67 solution?

I plan on building another system using the 2600K processor. I was all cranked up and ready to buy the Z68 version of the Gigabyte UD4 MB. But... after reading a few posts I beginning to question what I really need. At least on write up indicated that the power savings from shutting off the video care when not gaming was minimal. I have a good video card, 8GB of Vengeance C8 memory and a WD 750GB Black drive sitting on my desk looking for a home for a home. I will purchase a 128GB SataIII SSD for this system. Based on past experience I would install W7 on the SSD. What do I gain from the Z68 in this configuration? Not trying to be smart just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Re: Z68-UD4-B3 versus a P67 solution?

Save some cash and invest in a smaller SSD, Intel is coming out with a 20GB SSD just for the Z68 boards. You will be able to use the SSD with the spinner and have SSD speed with the larger capacity of the spinning drive.

There are a few reviews out on some of the Z67 boards which should help you decide where to spend.
    Kipper
    Hardware/Software Reviewer

Comment

Yeah but... I'm already hooked on a dedicated SSD and the SSD "Spinner" solution is a bit slower.

Also, based on this guy's comments on NewEgg it looks like there is more missing than just the video port.

"If you're looking forward to using the widely-anticipated Z68 feature that allows QuickSync video transcoding through a discrete graphics card, this board will disappoint you. Of course this board doesn't have graphics ports, but a great thing about the Z68 is that it's capable of utilizing the Intel HD graphics processor through a discrete card. This board doesn't let you do that. There is no mention of enabling integrated graphics in any part of the BIOS".

He also mentions problems when OC'ing, maybe just a fluke or is there a problem here too?

I see NewEgg is running a special on the Z68X-UD4-B3?! Should I wait for the second generation of this board or can it be "fixed" with a BIOS update?

Comment

If the Z68 can utilize the iGP without graphic port we have to wait and see. Currently all other brands boards I have seen have graphic ports.

Comment

Gigabyte Experts please respond -

I do a lot of video encoding and I also like to OC. Sandy Bridge's Quick Sync gets a lot of good press but is currently supported only by Lucid's Virtu software - on MB's that license the software. I own several Nvidia video cards so - is this a reason to go with the Gigabyte Z68X-UD4,5, or 7 MB and be somewhat confident that the BIOS will be updated to support Nvidia's entry into the Quick Sync fray?

NVIDIA Synergy (Optimus) technology for desktops coming at Computex

The more I read the more confused I get! It appears that a MB video connection is not the trigger to get at the Sandy Bridge Quick Sync HD 3000 graphics stuff it's drivers and a BIOS options? The Nvidia solution looks like a cleaner straight forward approach?

Comment

You want a board like the Z68X-UD3H if you need to use Virtu, I'll have a review wrote up soon on one of those boards.

Comment

Lsdmeasap,
              I broke down and bought the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro / 2600K NewEgg combo yesterday! Don't know if Virtu is a good thing but based on several reviews they seemed to feel like ASUS's Z68 BIOS implementation has moved back ahead of Gigabyte for the moment. We'll see, I know I'll miss all the OC'ing help I got from you guys on the Gigabyte forum. Hopefully, the ASUS forum is at least half as good.

Comment

Ahh, sorry to hear you jumped ship! :)

Hope it works out for you though, and thanks for the kind words they are most appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                X