P67A-UD3 Start up and Shut down issues - Stability testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P67A-UD3 Start up and Shut down issues - Stability testing

Hi Guys, I have the following issues with my newly built pc and I'm not sure how to investigate this next, any advice would be much appreciated! I've built plenty of pcs before but this set of issues has me stumped:

1. When booting into windows, desktop and everything come up fine but sometimes the USB mouse and keyboard just aren't active. Nine times out of ten I boot into windows perfectly and the mouse and keyboard work fine, just occasionally they fail. I'm using the standard windows 7 drivers for them.

2. When shutting down, windows 7 will go to the shutting down message (after the logging out message) but seems to get stuck. No hard drive activity, it just hasn't actually switched things off. Again 9 times out of 10 there are no problems then occasionally this occurs.

3. When playing games like 'dawn of war chaos rising' or 'civ v' I get graphics tearing and weird imprints in the background or lots of squares appearing. My GPU isn't overclocked and the game continues to run fine ie doesn't crash to windows but obviously the game is unplayable. This does seem to be case only with resource intense games.

4. Occasionally once I've booted into windows, there's no sound and the speaker symbol has a mute and I can't get it make any noise as it says no soundcard plugged in. This is rarer than the keboard/mouse failling but is also an odd one.

Some notes on my own stability/stress testing and general investigations:

A. I can run furmark solidly and the temp stabilises about 75 degrees celcius on my ATI HD4850. No tearing, no freezing, no problems really. Furmark runs very happily.

B. I can run prime95 for ages, cpu is solid, including the different varients to stress the memory more etc.

C. I can run burnin test in various configs to stress RAM/GPU and it never fails or reports any errors.

D. I don't get any random freezes or anything like that. Once windows is working then it's nice and slick. Nothing is overclocked and the bios is set to fail safe defaults across everythign.

E. My MB drivers, GPU drivers and windows drivers are all bang up to date.

F. I can't figure out how to reproduce these errors. When they happen, nothing has been changed to prompt them occurring.

My system is:

Windows 7 64 bit.
    Gigbayte P67A-UD3-B3 - firmware version F4
    Intel i5 2500
    2GB RAM
    ATI HD4850
    Seagate Barricuda 750GB HDD SataII

If I figure this out then I promse to respond to this thread and share!
    Any advice or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Re: P67A-UD3 Start up and Shut down issues - Stability testing

First of all load optimized defaults if you haven't done it yet.
    2GB of ram are not much for Windows 7, how much do you have available in task manager after boot?
    What is the memory model?

Comment

Optimised defaults - I had it on failsafe defaults, I'll change to optimised. What does that actually change though?

RAM left in Windows: About 50% (1-1.2GB).

RAM module: From OCZ: ::YoYo Tech::

I have all RAM settings to auto (voltage, speed etc) in the bios and looking at it now it doesn't match the specs below for this RAM. Shouldn't this motherboard automatically detect that it's 1600MHz? At boot up it shows 1066MHZ. If I change the voltage in the bios then I can select a bunch of numbers from the list but above 1.65 the numbers turn red which I find a bit scary. Should I manually set all the values below into my bios?

Series Obsidian
      Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
      Capacity 2GB
      Speed DDR3 1600 (PC2 12800)
      Cas Latency 9
      Timing 9-9-9-24
      Voltage 1.65V
      Heat Spreader Yes

Comment

Do you have XMP option in BIOS?
        The numbers are red or pink? 1.65v for the ram is fine if the manufacturer says so, no worries.

Comment

I don't have an XMP option in my bios, or if it's there then I can't find it. And that includes after pressing CTRL-1 to get a couple more options to appear. Is it somewhere non-intuitive or am I being blind?

I was confused by this link where someone asked and was told yes:

GA-P67A-UD3-B3 and 1600 RAM - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

I can do it all manually (ie set those four latency values in the RAM spec and then the voltage) but if anyone can tell me where the XMP option would be, that would help.

Thanks for your quick responses so far guys! Appreciated.

Comment

XMP is a profile in the memory, some has it and some don't you can check with CPU-Z SPD tab.
            Since it's memory for P55 better set it all manually.
            Run memtest86+ first then Prime95 blend for a few hours. You may need to increase VTT a slightly, though with only 2GB it may not be needed at all.

Comment

1.66v is fine in BIOS,it will actually be 1.648v in Windows,1066mhz is the mb's default setting,to raise ram speed look for spd system multiplier and set from auto to manual and then choose a multi 8x 10x 12x ect till you see 1600mhz,makesure Usb keyboard and mouse are enabled in BIOS,could reflash BIOS and untick keep dmi pool data just before you flash
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Did you install the latest Intel Chipset drivers? If not please install them as that may help the random USB issues, you can get those here

As for the graphical issues during gaming, I'd highly suspect you need more memory, most games need at least 2GB or more themselves just to run smoothly so you are likely fighting with the OS for memory resources when gaming.

Comment

Okay so since last posting I have done the following:

- Bought new OCZ SSD Hard drive - Agility 3, 60GB, and 2 more GB of RAM (same make and model).

- Have reinstalled Win 7 onto new SSD- problems still occur.

- Have uninstalled and reinstalled all USB related drivers from Device Manager and installed the latest intel driver from the link above.

So now things are slightly different. I believe the intel drivers fixed the USB stability problems because I haven't had the mouse/keyboard not working issue, they both seem to work fine all the time. The problem I have is with blue screen BSODS.

They are normally IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000a.The memory dump also refers to HDAudbus.sys driver file so I've disabled Azalia in the bios which I think relates to this.

And then less frequently I get BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER 0x000000fe. I'm not sure what to do about this.

These are almost always at bootup, just as windows has finished doing the swirly colours thing at the 'Starting Windows' screen.

And a few times the system has failed to shutdown, it's just hung there (nothing to do with any unusual applications run during that session either).

My system has a 350W power supply (good seasonic one) and I thought maybe that was causing issues but I can run furmark and prime95 both for ages with no problems so don't think it's enough power.

Memory wise, games run better with the extra RAM and all the settings in the bios for speed and voltage are at the manufacturer's specs which I entered manually.

Since disabling Azalia in the bios a few days ago I haven't seen any BSODs but do you guys think that might be the problem? There's not much on the net mentioning this issue so I can be the only one.

These intermittent BSODs have been driving me mad and now I'm stuck with no sound.

Comment

Are you using realtek hd audio drivers or just what win7 installs, default drivers? Tried disabling usb3 in BIOS? Might help
                    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X