just starting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just starting out

I got a emachines t3100 128mb ram {upgrading to 256 next week} p3 1ghz no real extras except the software i use but it's probably not importan at this point aside from the fact that I'm running xp pro w/sp1 30g hd and a cdrw. any sugestions would be nice . also what programs do you use to bench mark ? thanks in advance .:shoot3:

You'll get a little more out of it if the motherboard will allow you to adjust the Front Side Bus (FSB) frequency. This can be done by jumpers/dip switches or in the BIOS if the board supports it. The only thing is not to expect to get much out of it as the P3's tend to become unstable from around 1100MHz as this is as far as the old 0.18 micron CPU's could go. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Another limiting factor with an Emachines box is that they usually use the smallest power supply that will fire up the box. It is probably not on the high end of the quality scale either. It may not take much more than the origional power load to make it unstable.

Comment

how do I get into my bios to change the settings ?:?:

Comment

During bootup, right after the memory count, you should have the option of hitting a key that will bring up the bios setup screen. It depends on your mobo what it is, but some common ones are "delete", "F1", "F2". If none of these work, check your manual or Emachines site.

Comment

thanx i'll try on my next boot up

Comment

if you are going to OC make sure your cooling is good, although I don't think that the p3's create too much heat...

Comment

gave up on my emachine I'm building a amd system :cheers:

Comment

How much do ya got to spend? I just ordered all the parts for my new AMD system, total came to $1200.

Comment

WOW, for all that you ordered...in your signature....you only spen 2200 USD ? :confused: I know your mobo is different, but hmmm... :confused:

Comment

My sig isnt right these are the final specs:

Case: Silver Chieftec Matrix Case w/power cord - $60.00
                      Case Fans: Thermaltake A1214 X5 - $43.72
                      Power Supply: Enermax 350W EG365P-VE - $48
                      Thermal Grease: Arctic Silver 3 - $8.00
                      Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2200+ @ 1.8GHZ - $147.00
                      Memory: Corsair 512mb DDR400MHZ PC-3200 CL2.0 w/ Heat Spreader- $179.00
                      CD-RW: Lite-On 40x12x48 - $48.00
                      Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9700PRO 128MB w/8x AGP - $318.00
                      Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache - $107.00
                      Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VAXP - $113.00
                      CD-ROM: Artec 56X - $19.00
                      Floppy Drive: Sony 1.44MB 3.5" Internal - $8.00
                      Heat Sink w/Fan: ThermalTake Volcano 7+ - $25.00

Comment

Ahh. That makes sense. hehe. I spent more on the case and got another HD and more on the gigabyte VC. hehe. :laugh:

Comment

:p. I like my case. But you spent more cause it had to look good :p.

Comment

I'm dropping a hundred or 2 every payday

Comment

Working...
                            X