XP 1600+ on EpoX 8KTA3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP 1600+ on EpoX 8KTA3

Hey guys, I posted this before the loss of forum st00f, but I didn't manage to see if anyone replied, so I'll ask the question again:

Can EpoX 8KTA3's fully support 1600+s? Because I've updated my BIOS to the latest version, and my processor gets detected as an XP, but only @ 1050MhZ.... help please?

well it seems your board is using 100MHz FSB, are there any jumpers or switches on the board that set the board to 133MHz, or is the chipset capable of 133MHz??
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

the 8KTA3 does support XP's - and it does have a 100/133 FSB jumper, so make sure yours is set to 133

I had one for a while - it's a very nice MB - no DDR ram though

Comment

Unfortunately the 8KTA3 will not (OFFICIALLY) support XP processors...I've got 2 of the buggers....

Have a look at the Epox site and there is a table that spells out motherboard/cpu compatibilities....from memory the 8KTA3+ and the 8KTA3L do but not the vanilla 8KTA3.....

Comment

?????

My hardware supplier - who is a national Epox dist. - told me that the 8KTA3 does support XP's, although I must admit that I haven't checked the website & it's down right now

Comment

Yeah, I'm having difficulty getting onto the site too.....the table I mentioned was in a PDF format and covered CPU compatibility for all Epox boards....I thought it stange that some flavours of the 8KTA3 boards did support the XP while others didn't....in the specs for the boards (when the site comes up) is a link to the compatibility chart. I was bloody disappointed when I realised the the straight 8KTA3 wouldn't support it (even without DDR)....and the latest bioses didn't give any joy either. I'd like to get hold of an XP though and just give it a little try to see.

Comment

I've had a look at that PDF - or at least the one that's on the North American site - probably the same one, & I know it's not 100% accurate - maybe it's just the difference between CPU support & official CPU support

Kind of like how officially you can't run PC100 in a 133FSB system

Comment

Have a look at the attached link....the 8KTA3 doesn't officially support the athlon XPs

Comment

if you double-check the document, there is also a board revision written to the left of it, and i have found (8kta3l for instance) that the production release will be a later version than those specified in that document, just thought its worth checking first, as that document says that the 8kta3l doesn't "officially" support the Duron (morgan) 1.2, but it does work, andalso the board we had was version 1.0 whereas the one in that doc was ver 0.1

edit: after double-checking myself, i just realised i was looking at the 8kta2 not 3, the rev for the 8kta3 specs say all, so i guess we can say that this isn't necessarily applicable to this situation...but still, its worth noting ;)

Comment

there have been a few of these threads about and it seems as long as you have the latest bios xp 'should' 'work'.:flames:

Comment

Working...
                    X