PDA

View Full Version : Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt : What power connections to use? (or all?)

dJabba
09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
As the title says. Mainboard: Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt

It has 3 places to attach power besides the 20+4. There are 8pin, 4pin and molex. I can connect them all from PSU cable availability, but should I ?
Don't want to give it to much power, but also not to little.

Regards,
-dJabba

Plynindbnd
09-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Have to use the 24 pin and the 8 pin cpu for the system to work. Those 2 are required. The other 4 pin cpu is for extra power when Overclocking (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here) and I do not think it is required but it wouldnt hurt to plug that one in also. I would. The molex is the EZ plug which is only really needed if you run 2 GPU's and do not have a 20+4 pin power supply. I run CrossfireX with out the EZ Plug connected.

dJabba
09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. The mailman just brought the CPU, so the build continues.

Got the 8pin connected fine, got a little trouble with the 4pin due to the screw from the top fan I added to my case. I only got 1 gfx card (IceQ 6970) right now, so will leave the molex unplugged, but use a cable to the Thunderbolt card with an extra molex on it for easy adding later.

Learned something again :)