Asus p6x58d-e slow USB boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus p6x58d-e slow USB boot

After a couple days of looking and trying different things, I give up. What BIOS options do I need to set/clear to enable the USB (both 2.0 and 3.0 ports) to boot from a thumb drive at speed. Presently, it takes nearly a minute to boot the syslinux boot code and several minutes to subsequently boot the Linux kernel. Once the kernel is running, everything runs full speed.

I downloaded and installed the Plop boot code to see if that makes a difference, and yes it certainly does. With that boot code the kernel loads and starts running in just a second or two. But I can't use Plop all the time, so it would be better for my application if the BIOS did the job.

The specifics:

Asus P6X58D-E, BIOS version 0702
    i7-970
    12GB memory
    2x240GB Kingston SSD (whew! Are these fast, period. Doubly fast when hooked to the Maxell controller! Yikes, nose bleed time)
    100GB WD Caviar

Most of the USB thumb drives I have are Kingston Datatraveler. Some 4GB and some 8GB. All the dozens of thumb drives I have all boot very fast on all the Intel brand m/b's on which I use them.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Asus p6x58d-e slow USB boot

Its in the BIOS but not sure which page,to enable usb3,try enable rather than auto

Also enable Usb storage or legacy Usb
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the tip, but nope. There is only enable/disable for the USB 2.0 and 3.0 chipset. Setting legacy to auto or enable makes no difference and setting it to disable makes all USB devices invisible to the boot menu (via F8). Slow boot whether the 2.0 or 3.0 USB sockets are used.

I have a second P6X58D-E m/b I've been using since January. I have never had occasion to boot from a USB thumb drive on it, so I just tried that one too. Same result. Very very slow boot. It is less equipped, has BIOS version 0405, i7 950, 4GB and a squadron of hard drives of various sizes.

Comment

After looking around in different forums (fora?), I see a number of comments about some BIOS's default their USB to version 1.0 or 1.1 to maintain compatibility with possibly antique equipment. After a BIOS update on those (non-ASUS) motherboards, the system would boot at speed. So that might be what is happening here too. The ASUS BIOS is setting the chipset to run in 1.0 mode?

In my case, the Linux kernel and its ramdisk images total about 18 megabytes. I know the sticks consistently read at ~20MB/sec, so I was expecting it to boot the kernel in about one or maybe two seconds and indeed that is what happens when the Plop code is used to do it (it's so fast, it's hard to measure exactly with a stopwatch). Even at USB 1.0's 1.5Mbit/sec rate, it should have only taken about 1.5 minutes to read the boot images but it takes a little over 11 minutes, so I'm not sure what's going on under the hood. There must be much more to it than just that.

To be fair, the Intel and Dell motherboards typically take 15 seconds to read those 18 MB boot images but the Plop code works equally well (at ~2 seconds) on them too.

Comment

Hi,

I'm also having some USB and SSD problems with my Asus P6X58D-E (6GB of RAM). First of all, I can NOT use a USB device to boot... I need this for installing Linux, for example, and I have no idea why USB pendrives are not bein recognized at boot time.
          Second, I just bought an Intel SSD 510 120GB (SATA 6Gb/s) which I have connected to one of the two SATA6G ports of the motherboard and it seems Windows7 recognizes it but I'm not sure if the disk is working as it should (full speed). What is strange for me is that inside the BIOS the disk is recognized IDE whereas my other SATA3G disks connected to the SATA3G ports are recognized as SATA... outside the BIOS (when booting up normally) it appears as SATA.
          USB3 devices are recognized by Windows but not under Linux even though Ubuntu11.04 is supposed to have all the drivers for USB3. So I also wonder if this has something to do with the BIOS. Please send me your suggestions/instructions, thanks.

Boris

Comment

Might not, but might, be the problem. A lot of USB devices aint bootable, special usb sticks. Out of the 5 USB sticks i have around, the only one that is bootable is the one specific labeld as bootable when bought.
            Another thing, don't use front headers. On several occasions I have had them drop out during boot so the boot would fail, where as if the onboard backside are used it boots fine.

Just a couple things as food for thought @ those who have trouble with this.
            My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
            Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
            Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

did you set to ahci mode for your ssd or hdd? this might improve things and is a must for ssd's,did you make the usb bootable? plenty free software to make a bootable usb pen drive,and format it to fat32
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X