No announcement yet.

GA-EP45-DS3 not compatible with 2 x ADATA 2GB DDR2 800MHz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-DS3 not compatible with 2 x ADATA 2GB DDR2 800MHz?

Hi everyone,

I have difficulty getting my new 2 x ADATA 2GB DDR2 800MHz to work with GA-EP45-DS3 (BIOS version F9).

My other related components are:
    Core 2 Quad 8200 running at stock frequency (333MHz x 7 = 2.33GHz)
    Gigabyte nVidia GTX460 1GB
    Enermax Modu 82+ 525w PSU

Previously I was using 2 x ADATA Extreme 1GB DDR2 1066MHz with the system, everything worked fine.
    However, suppliers no longer have the Extreme edition RAM's now, so I bought 2 x 2GB DDR2 800MHz instead, to form a 4GB without mixing.

Each of the DDR2 800MHz works fine on its own. However, when combined together (in same channel or separate channels), or when using one of them (800MHz) with either one or both of my existing 1GB DDR2 1066MHz, system runs into blue screen within 1-60 seconds into Windows. I have tried tweaking MCH voltages and RAM timings, but none of them worked. I did not do memtest86+ tests, because the new RAM's work fine when only one is plugged in.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Re: GA-EP45-DS3 not compatible with 2 x ADATA 2GB DDR2 800MHz?

Which operating system are you using? 32-bit? 64-bit?
    Please post your bios settings using the bios template in http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post295784, post #5. Copy the bios template and use Notepad or any plain text editing program and fill in your settings when you are using one or both of your new memory modules.

Include a link to the memory specification for your model of memory.
    Do you know if you previously loaded Optimized bios settings?
    Have you tried testing one memory module at a time with Memtest86+ v4.20? If yes, which tests were run and for how long.

Include a CPU-Z screen-shot in your next post that shows the CPU, Mainboard, Memory, and SPD windows. You can do this by running four instances of CPU-Z. Arrange the windows into a 2x2 grid and crop the screen image to eliminate the rest of the desktop. It's best if your cropped image is 800 pixels wide or less. Up to 1024 pixels should be readable, but about 800 pixels is best.

It will help if you also attach a CPU-Z report by clicking on the ABOUT tab, and then click on Save Report (.TXT).
    The is an F10b beta bios for your motherboard that is one year newer than the F9 bios. You might need to update the bios, but not right now.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Hi profJim,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Please see the details below.

OS is 32-bit Vista.

BIOS settings are currently simply set to optimized default. When I was trying to make the new memories work, I tweaked MCH voltages, frequencies, frequency multipliers, and memory timings, but none of the combinations tried worked. No memtests have been done, because each memory worked fine on its own in various tasks, but when put together blue screens were encountered immediately.

I have attached screenshots of CPU-Z. The specifications of the new memories are listed at Premier Series DDR2 800 240pin Unbuffered-DIMM Non-ECC Memory, Specifications, Memory Modules, DDR2 800, Desktop Premier, DRAM Module, Welcome to ADATA.
      Attached Files

Comment

There is a beta F10e BIOS in the beta BIOS sticky (page 2) if you care to try it

Comment

With a 32-bit operating system, only about 3.2 GB of memory will be "available".
          My win2k system ran fine with 4 GB of memory.

Flashing to a newer bios version often helps with "improved memory compatibility".
          If you flash your bios, only use one installed memory module while flashing.
          Use QFLASH when flashing, never use @BIOS (in windows).
          For more flashing information, read http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ash-guide.html.

According to the memory SPD, the following settings should work:
          • 800 MHz: 5-5-5-18 at 1.80 volts
          • 800 MHz: 4-4-4-12 at 2.00 volts
          • 1066 MHz: 5-6-6-18 at 2.30 volts

If testing with memory in motherboard slots #1 and #3 fail, retest using memory slots #2 and #4.

Don't combine memory memory module kits, only use the 2x2GB kit.
          When changing memory always:
          • switch off psu and unplug the power cord at the psu or the wall socket
          • press and hold the front panel on/off switch for 10 seconds
          • remove or install memory module(s)

Test with the following settings and don't reboot into windows.
          Boot to Memtest86+ v4.20 using a bootable floppy, usb, or CD/DVD.
          Run test #5 by typing: c 1 3 5 [enter] 0 (zero) and let it run for 10 loops.
          If there are no errors, type: c 7 to start the regular 8 test loop.
          The first loop will run for about 25 minutes, and additional loops will take about 40 minutes for each loop on your system.
          I suggest running 3 - 5 loops.
          If there are no Memtest86+ errors, press [escape] to reboot and boot into windows using SAFE mode.
          If there are no BSoD errors in SAFE mode after 5 - 10 minutes, boot into windows normally.
          Save a screen-shot that shows EasyTune6 --> TUNER tab --> ADVANCE tab --> VOLTAGE tab (only the Voltage tab is needed)
          To help ensure that your system is really stable, you should run IntelBurnTest (IBT) for only 5 loops using 2048 MB of memory.
          If IBT has no errors, I fould follow this by running Prime95 Blend test for 3 - 6 hours.
          Post detailed error information. This will help us find solutions.

Once your system is stable with the initial "easy" memory settings, we can see if 4-4-4-12 timings are stable at 800MHz.
          There is little or no advantage to running with 1066 MHz speeds with looser memory timings with real world programs.

For additional performance, we can overclock your system once your system is stable.
          Code:
          PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ---- : [101] 

C.I.A.2 ------------------------ : [Disabled]

DRAM Performance Control
          Performance Enhance ------------ : [Turbo] <-- [B]Standard[/B] might help
          Extreme Memory Profile - (XMP) - : [Disabled]
          (G)MCH Frequency Latch --------- : [Manual]
          System Memory Multiplier ------- : [2.40]
          Memory Frequency (Mhz) --------- : 800
          DRAM Timing Selectable --------- : [Manual] 

Standard Timing Control
          CAS Latency Time ------- ?? ---- : [5]
          tRCD  ------------------ ?? ---- : [5]
          tRP -------------------- ?? ---- : [5]
          tRAS  ------------------ ?? ---- : [18]

Channel A Timing Settings -- {Press Enter to change settings)
          Static tRead Value ------------- : [7]

Channel B Timing Settings {Press Enter to change settings)
          Static tRead Value ------------- : [7]

CPU
          Voltage Types--------- Normal ----- Current -----
          Load-Line Calibration ---------- : [Disabled]
          CPU Vcore ----------- 1.????? -- : [n.nnnnn] <-- set to the 1.????? value shown in the bios

MCH/ICH
          MCH Core ------------- 1.100V -- : [1.10] <-- up to 1.20 or 1.05 might be needed

DRAM
          DRAM Voltage --------- 1.800V -- : [1.80] <-- up to 1.90 might be needed
          Try the following settings if all tests faill:
          Code:
          Advanced Settings
          Limit CPUID Max. to 3 ---------- : [Disabled]
          No-Execute Memory Protect ------ : [Enabled]
          CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) -------- : [Disabled]
          C2/C2E State Support ----------- : [Disabled]
          x C4/C4E State Support --------- : [Disabled]
          CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2) ---- : [Enabled]
          CPU EIST Function  ------------- : [Disabled]
          Virtualization Technology ------ : [Disabled] 

Integrated Peripherals
          Legacy USB Storage Detect  ----- : [Disabled]
          Last edited by profJim; 11-08-2011, 04:18 AM. Reason: minor edit
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Updated to the latest BIOS, version F10b. Haven't had time to run memory tests, but booting into Windows failed (couldn't even reach the Welcome screen). Any increase on MCH and / or DRAM voltage (other settings are all optimized default) now makes the system fail to boot up (system turns on for 3-5 seconds then automatically shuts then tries to boot up again, in an indefinite loop, without post screen). I guess I will have to give up on these new memories

Comment

I suggested F10e specifically because in February 2010 there were a lot of memory compatibility updates to many boards and the may have been made to this BIOS that is dated August 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by XeonSoo View Post
                Updated to the latest BIOS, version F10b. Haven't had time to run memory tests, but booting into Windows failed (couldn't even reach the Welcome screen). Any increase on MCH and / or DRAM voltage (other settings are all optimized default) now makes the system fail to boot up (system turns on for 3-5 seconds then automatically shuts then tries to boot up again, in an indefinite loop, without post screen). I guess I will have to give up on these new memories
                With the updated bios and optimized settings, your system is probably trying to post with 1066MHz memory speed. This might be the problem.
                Trying the F10e bios might help, but the problem might be an incompatibility with your memory and motherboard.

In another EP45 thread, the OP suddenly developed BSOD problems with his Corsair 8GB memory at 1066MHz. The memory kit that he was using has been used successfully by many forum members at its rated speed. When he followed my suggestion to "dumb down" his memory to 800MHz, his system passed preliminary IBT and Prime95 stress tests, with no BSODs.
                Good luck with your system, I'm sure others will help you get your system running.
                Last edited by profJim; 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM. Reason: correction: 8GB or memory, not 4GB

Comment

Even though F10b BIOS did not help my memories, I think it is good to have any way, it offers a few more options than F9.

I checked the memory frequencies in BIOS after flashing, it was correct at 800MHz.

Comment

I have finally got some free time tonight and sorted out the problem. I think I shall post what I have done so that it may help some others with the same or similar problems.

First of all, it was obvious the RAM's were not very stable since the system sometimes ran into boot loops or fail during Windows start-up. I downgraded the RAM's to run at 333MHz x 2.4 from Auto (lower base frequency, higher multiplier, same total frequency). Voltage changes were not required.

With the lower frequencies, I ran memtest86+, passed a standard set, then ran #5 test for a couple more times, without any errors. This confirmed that the RAM's themselves had no major / obvious faults.

I then booted into Windows Safe Mode, ran Prime95, no errors after 20 minutes (I know this is not enough, but did not have enough time to wait for more passes). However, in Normal Mode, even with almost all services turned off and all start-up programs disabled, BSOD was still happening all the time, with many processes terminating due to corrupted data, and Prime95 producing errors almost instantly.

At this stage I could reasonably conclude the issue I was having was more software related and / or incompatibility rather than hardware faults. After each BSOD I checked Windows event logs, and found out some possible causes of the issue, eventually I narrowed the issue down to sound card driver (even though event logs do not explicitly suggest it is the sound card driver, but from the details of the errors I could trace back to the driver, I am a software developer by trade).

Since then the system has not produced any error in Prime95 in Normal Mode of Windows after more than half an hour of running, which is a great sign :)

I guess it is worthwhile for anyone with the same or similar issues to try disabling or uninstalling all drivers, provided memtest86+ confirms that your RAM is not faulty.

Comment

Working...
                    X