Dragon Orb 3 HSF Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Orb 3 HSF Inquiry

I am interested in getting a good HSF with 3 clips for my new duron 1.3Ghz.
    The Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3 HSF received a 9.0/10 when it was reviewed by tweaktown.

And thus this one comes to mind.

Does anyone have an personal experience with this HSF, and what is your opinion(s).

I would also appreciate any insight into rival HSF with 3 clips and on-par/improved performance.

Thanks.

The Dragon Orb received a 9/10 ranking because it was a very good cooler... for it's time. It was also the first time that Thermaltake was able to create a truly useful Orb style cooler. Since then, there have been many improvements in cooling architecture.

If you're interested in the three lug system, then look at the newer Volcano 7+ models as they changed up the clipping mechanism to use all lugs on the socket. If you're concerned with stability of the cooler after it is mounted, then take a look at the Swiftech units, or even the newer Alpha units. Both of these cooling systems mount directly to the mainboard and are awesome in terms of air-cooling.

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by UfthakK
      I am interested in getting a good HSF with 3 clips for my new duron 1.3Ghz.
      The Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3 HSF received a 9.0/10 when it was reviewed by tweaktown.

And thus this one comes to mind.

Does anyone have an personal experience with this HSF, and what is your opinion(s).

I would also appreciate any insight into rival HSF with 3 clips and on-par/improved performance.

Thanks.
      Just going to add to what Dar... said

Try to pick up a SLK 800, it has three lugged clips and is the best performer in its class. Thought be prepared, it is quite loud :)

Comment

And twice the price of the Volcano 7+ without the fan here. :eek:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The key to what ever heatsink you go for is the fan.

I'm running a 1.33 currently clocked quite happily at 1.541

I was running it with a Coolermaster HCC-002 and stock 60mm fan which gave me max temps around 65 deg C! not good...

I replaced the fan with a Delta 80mm together with an adapter and it has dropped my max temp down to 45 deg C.

The main reason the SLK-800 is so good is it normally fitted with a high flow 80mm fan.

Comment

Working...
          X