• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice for HSF for good overclock results

Well I'm finally upgrading my PC see sig, with this:

MSI KT3 Ultra2
    AMD XP 1600+

What I want to know is what should I get for the best yields for my OC venture.

I am considering GEiL PC2700 CAS-2 memory. Has anyone heard anything about this brand?

And also I am currently using a GlobalWin CAK-II 38 HSF. Will this be sufficient or should I consider a Swiftech or Volcano-7+.

Well, let's see.. Since you're looking to OC, I wouldn't recommend anything less than the best!

GEiL looks like a worthy competitor in the RAM arena, although I can't say I've heard their name pop up much. It seems that some of their reviewers are giving it some nice thumbs up. To repeat a quote I'm sure you've heard before, "If you're going to do it, do it right." For anyone interested in rock solid performance and EXCELLENT OC results, I would recommend Corsair brand memory. www.corsairmicro.com

Your motherboard will support up to DDR333 memory, so I'd spring for it (DDR400 if you can manage.. it's all backwards compatible).

As for HSF's, I personally use a Thermaltake Volcano 9. At my base CPU speed of 1.53GHz, it keeps it at a nice cool 38C. And, my computer doesn't sound like it's going to take off.. :D

At my current OC speed of 1.66GHz, it keeps it at an idle of 41.5C, and a max of 45.5C after a half an hour of continuous high res Q3A demo001/002 loops.

The Volcano 7+ is also a damn good cooler. There are quite a few reviews on this site done by Mike "Darthtanion" Wright, that you might want to check out.

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=310

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...review&dId=188
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Comment

The 80mm fan of the Volcano 9 definitely looks more attractive plus I think I can eventually replace that fan with a Vantec 80mm Tornado Fan 84.1CFMs. I will probably look into the getting a new case as well since air flow is quite restricted in my case: InWin S500. and well just because there are some pretty darn nice cases out there now...brushed aluminum would be pretty nice..but the prices are too damn high...just a case with some god air flow..any suggestions for that?

I am also now considering 4 - Vantec 80mm Tornado fans... maybe a larger one if the case supports it. 92mm draws in 119CFMs!!

So you are getting 166x2FSB, is that noticiably faster than the stock 2000+?

Comment

Well the SLK-800 is the best hs on the market (at least it was the last time I checked). But it is on the pricey side. You can stick on an 80mm fan. I'd go for the "Smart fan 2" (check my sig). It has a temp sensor and max CFM of 75.

Comment

Originally posted by TruSpeed
          The 80mm fan of the Volcano 9 definitely looks more attractive plus I think I can eventually replace that fan with a Vantec 80mm Tornado Fan 84.1CFMs. I will probably look into the getting a new case as well since air flow is quite restricted in my case: InWin S500. and well just because there are some pretty darn nice cases out there now...brushed aluminum would be pretty nice..but the prices are too damn high...just a case with some god air flow..any suggestions for that?

I am also now considering 4 - Vantec 80mm Tornado fans... maybe a larger one if the case supports it. 92mm draws in 119CFMs!!

So you are getting 166x2FSB, is that noticiably faster than the stock 2000+?
          In many people's opinion, including mine, Antec/Chieftec/Thermaltake Xaser series cases have some awesome air flow capabilities. Chieftec specializes in aluminum cases (usually painted with automotive paint.. nice finish) that are priced at about US$75. CoolerMaster makes great cases too, but they're quite expensive. One thing to consider with brushed aluminum finishes is that they pick up fingerprints like there's no tomorrow. You literally have to clean your case every time you touch it to keep your skin oil from staining it.

Check http://www.directron.com/aluminum.html for a nice selection. They're a good company, I do a lot of business with them.

As for my FSB, I have it clocked at 144MHz currently. It performs right on par with the 2000+ CPU. If I take it to 150MHZ, it gets a nice performance boost over standard 2000+ CPU's.

As soon as I get my SOYO SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum, I'm going to unlock the CPU and see just how far I can take it :D
          Chris "Raven"
          News Crew - TweakTown
          <!--
          <font size=1>
          - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
          - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
          </font>
          // -->
          "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

Comment

On a side note.. With the 4 80mm's (2xFront, 2xBack) that my Antec SX1030 supports, the inside temp of my case sits at roughly 2C above ambient. I ordered some aluminum fan filters to replace the cruddy foam filters, so I figure the temp will go down even further once I get them installed.
            Chris "Raven"
            News Crew - TweakTown
            <!--
            <font size=1>
            </font>
            // -->

Comment

I'm ending up spending a bit more than I need to spend. I am wondering how much will I notice if any if I opt to go with 256MB SAMSUNG IC CAS 2.5 Memory vs 256MB CAS 2 GEIL/CRUCIAL memory. I've also heard that if I plan to use 512MB in my system I should get 2-256MB sticks instead of 1-512MB Stick for some performance gain, something to do with how the memory works. Is there any truth to this and why.

The price difference of the two is about $9. If I can save a few bucks here and there it all adds up. I am trying to at least stay with a name brand.

Comment

I wouldn't use anything less than the Volcano 7+ for overclocking though the SLK-800 would be the top heatsink atm (though twice the price of the 7+ without a fan here).

Memory is one place that I will not scimp on price for. This is the cause of most o/c's not delivering. Corsair XMS-3200 is what I use for the best o/c's possible. ;)

As to the bit about it being better to use 2 x 256MB sticks over 1x 512MB I have yet to see proved by someone and I've seen now real benefit of either, though 1 x 512MB stick costs less than 2 x 256MB sticks. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Since I shouldn't skimp on the memory. I've been looking at CAS2 GEIL PC3200 memory. 5ns chips. v.s. 6ns CAS2 PC2700. Will the faster chips on the PC3200 DDR give me some advantage over the slower PC2700 ones? Also I am use to running 512MB+ PC-133 memory in my systems but am pressed for $$$ right now. So will 256MB be noticibly slower or will the added bandwidth make up for some of the missing memory? I will eventually get more memory. Here is my dilema..

512MB PC-2700 CAS 2.5 Kingmax or SAMSUNG IC - $127USD
                  or
                  256MB PC-2700 CAS 2 GEIL - $74USD
                  or
                  256MB PC-3200 CAS 2 GEIL - $84USD

Comment

I would have to say Volcano 7+. You can findalot cheaper nowadays. In the U.S. try newegg.com...Great heatsink and not even that loud on medium.
                    - Damien

Comment

I'm thinking about getting the Volcano 7+ now. For the reasons being that...one it's copper. The Volcano 9 has yet to be copper but will probably never come to be because of weight issues. A solid copper heatsink should transfer more heat than the copper to aluminum combo of the volcano 9. With an upgraded fan to the volcano-7+ it should cool anything with ease. By the way the SLK-800 is awesome...but the price is steep.

Comment

One good place to pick up a Volcano 7+ would be: www.coolerguys.com

Comment

That where i orginally got my Volcano 7+ at (coolerguys.com). The thing with newegg is that you will get superb service with FedEx. Even though i have no complaints on coolerguys.com...my newegg order got home two days earlier. Its 38 bucks in newegg.com but "coolerguys" has an unbeatable price 26 bucks. Now that is cheap and prolly worth the wait if there is any for you.

VOLCANO 7+
                          - Damien

Comment

Well everyone...everything came in (suprisingly) and I couldn't wait any longer, plus I've got a huge LAN party this weekend. So I went to the local store to pickup some things to hold me over until I can get to the ordering.

Here is what I've got running now...I will change both memory and HSF soon.

MSI KT3 Ultra2 MB
                            XP 1600+ @ 1.67GHz 154FSB
                            256MB Samsung CAS 2.5 PC2700 will replace with GEIL PC3200
                            Vantec CCK-6040 Cu-skived fins 60mm 30CFM fan
                            MATROX G400MAX - will be replaced with???
                            MAXTOR UDMA-133 20GB 7200RPM
                            SEGATE Barracuda IV 80GB 7200RPM
                            2 - VANTEC TORNADO 80mm CASE FAN 84.1CFM (they are loud!!)
                            1 - SUNON 120mm CASE FAN 119CFM (Intake)

I'm quite the happy person. I will let you know how fast my PC is with the new stuff!! can't wait.

Regards,
                            Jason

Comment

Working...
                            X