cpu temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu temp

i have a intel p4 2.0 and the temp at idle is 176 f. it came with the intel fan . im running windows xp on it . motherboard monitor 5 keeps poping up thelling that it to hot . i touch the fins on the cpu heat sink and ther cool to the touch . we i go into the bios the temp is 131 . :flames: the fan speed is around 550 rpm thats what the bios says . thanks for any help

wow......ok there is something wrong with the bios I think. Becuase if the heatsink were mounted improperly and still cool to the touch the processor would already be throttling its speed back. However because you say the the sink is cool to the touch and the fan is running at 550RPM? At first I was gonna say maybe the probe was damaged. But the fact that it is reading 550RPM? That is like almost stopped. There is probably something wrong with the thermal probe. Or the part of the bios that handles this function. Is your PC stable? Can you play a game or run some kind of CPU intensive application without crashing? Also what kind of mobo do you have?

Comment

it was running fine until last night then thats when the temp with up . it has not crash . should the heat sink be able to move a little or should it not move at all ? :) should i buy a new cpu cooler ? im looking at the valcano 7+

Comment

well........I don't know about intel systems as I've never built one. I have seen a board though with that big black square thing around the processor. As for AMD systems yes if you hold the heatsink and force it to move it can shift a bit. However this is generally not recommended as it can shift the smooth layout of the TIM and even worse damage the core. But if the temps are reading high regardless if the sink is mounted properly or not. The fins SHOULD NOT be cool to the touch if your all mounted properly. THe pentium 4 has an internal diode that gives it the ability to throttle back its speed if it gets too hot. I don't know what temperature this feature kicks in at. But has it already done it? I wouldn't know I mean would windows detect a 2Ghz chip or an 800Mhz one. I'm not sure how pentium 4's work in that perspective so someone else would ahve to help you out witht hat. But what I do know is what is happening is wrong and being you said its stable its not over heating and something is not being detected properly. Who makes your mobo?

Comment

it tis a sis motherboard

Comment

hmm...... I really dunno mucha bout intel systems. Maybe someone else in these forums can help yuh out a bit.

Do you have any sort of TIM on your processor? And your sure your heatsink is mounted properly?

Comment

you say that the heat sink is mounted right have you tryed maybe another heat sink and fan. If not you might want to go with the other that the therm probe is not detecting the proper temp. As for the heat sink moving the p4 (heatsink and fan) lock into place where it will not move unless forced. do you have the manufactor cd for the motherboard if so it should have a utility on it to help you with this problem

:flames: :flames: :flames: :flames: :flames: :flames:

Comment

Working...
              X