PDA

View Full Version : Video card is now 8bit after bios flash

Captain_Bill12
12-08-2011, 10:39 PM
The board is a Asus Crosshair V Formula. I flashed the bios successfully from 8.13 to 9.03. After reboot my bios sees my primary video card as an 8bit not 16bit as it should. I am running Crossfire with MSI 6970 Lightnings. Both cards were successfully crossfired and seen as 16bit prior to the bios flash. I flashed the bios because of the upgrades that it says it provides. Any clue how to fix the issue with 9.03 bios version or should I go back to 8.13 bios version? Secondary card is seen as a 16bit card but primary is now 8bit. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
Bill

wazza300
12-08-2011, 11:09 PM
you mean pci-e 16x? and now sees second card running 8x speed? tried re enabling xfire or re installing video card drivers?

use gpu-z if your not already

http://i40.tinypic.com/dyvipt.jpg

Captain_Bill12
12-09-2011, 05:14 AM
The mobo bios sees it as 8x speed and its the card in slot 1 that it sees as 8x speed. The card in the other slot is seen as 16x speed. As long as the bios sees it incorrectly crossfire will not work. It's not a driver issue. Windows in this case in not a factor at all.

wazza300
12-09-2011, 06:37 AM
you might need to load optimized defaults in the bios and re enter any bios settings,its normally needed once flashing the bios,if that doesnt fix it then you might need to go back to the previous bios as it could be bios bug/issue

Captain_Bill12
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
I figured it out. For anyone having the same problem my solution was to pull the bios battery out. I left mine out for about an hour while I was watching TV. Then I unplugged the power cables from the video card. Pulled it out and re-seated it. Plugged the power cables back in. Plugged the bios battery back in. Powered on the machine, entered the bios, and the bios now saw the primary video card as PCI-E 16x as opposed to PCI-E 8x.

dJabba
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
a "reset to default values" in the bios might have done the same, btw that's always a good thing to do after updating the bios - just as future tip