Outlook Express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Express

how do i save all the contacts from outlook express and then restore them after a fresh install of my operating system?

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

The path above will take you to where your messages are stored on a WinXP system. Just copy the folder(s) that are in this location and save the data to a safe location. After the installation and updating of the new Outlook Express, go to File-->Import-->Messages and use the wizard to get your old messages back.

If you have a non-XP based setup, then let me know and I should be able to get you the path for that as well.

And remember... this is only for stored email messages. You'll need to copy the address book separately and perform a similar import method to retrieve this.

Good luck. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

there doesn't seem to be a .dbx file in that folder for my address book, were can i find it?

Comment

Maybe it is a hidden file?
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

There are two sets of folders for your emails. One is empty and the other has the database files. Don;t ask me why because I can't tell you why this is so, but it is a simple fact.

The empty one is located here:
          C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Application Data\Identities

The actual storage for the emails is here:
          C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

Make sure to choose the correct location and you should be fine. Also of note is that when you import the messages back into Outlook Express, it will reconstruct the folders you had made as well. Address book won't, but the messages do.
          My Toys

Comment

one more time for the dummys (thats me by the way)

could u please explain it to me as if i was a 10 year old, how do i import my address book, and were is this located? soz :(

Comment

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

That is the location of the address book. Just copy that folder to a safe location (floppy, CDR, different partition) and then reformat the C:\ drive and install the OS. After you update the system (you DO use Windows Update, don't you?), set up Outlook Express normally so that it will retrieve your messages from the ISP or whatever email address you use.

Now that you are set up, you'll want to import the saved stuff back into your current install. Go to File --> Import --> Address Book and this will start up a wizard that allows you to browse to your saved folder and import the entire address book into your new install of Outlook Express. Be forewarned, though, that when you import the address book, it does not keep any folders you may have had set up. It just dumps the entire list into the Contacts area.

As for the email messages, refer to the replies I made above and follow the wizard that will allow you to browse to your saved emails and then import them back into Outlook Express. When you import these message, it WILL keep the directory structure that you had before, so all folders will be recreated when you import the emails.

It is as easy as that. I follow these same steps every time that I reformat and reinstall Windows, so I know that it works just fine... even under WinXP. As a side note, you may want to save off your FAVORITES folder when you're backing up your emails and address book. And before you ask, it is located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Favorites
              My Toys

Comment

Thank Darthtanion.

All done.. :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                X