PDA

View Full Version : Ram compatabillity......

P23UNK
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
I know this type of question gets asked every week but i am a novice at this. I have been looking at different makes and models of ram to upgrade my system as i play battlefield 3. I have tried to read up on the different speeds, types and makes of ram and have come across the corsair vengeance 16gb(4x4gb kit) Dual channel ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B. This seems to be a very good choice by what i have read but am still unsure. I tried to check weather it is compatible with my MOBO and found a site that says it is compatible up untill it hits 1600MHz then there is a star next to 1600MHz and 1800MHz with (OC) next to it. Does this mean i have to overclock my computer for it to run at these higher speeds? My system spec is
MOBO - MSI P55M-GD45 (MS-7588)
GPU - AMD Sapphire Radion HD 6950
CPU - Intel i7 860 @ 2.8GHz
RAM - Kingston 4GB (2x2GB)

Any help would be great, or even some sudgestions for a better choice of ram.
Cheers.

Lsdmeasap
02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Those sould work fine in your motherboard, although you may need to tinker a bit in the BIOS to get 16GB stable but not always.
http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m4a1600c9b.html

You may be better off stability-wise to pick out a 8GB kit 2x4GB, and that should be easier on your wallet and would be plenty to game with too.

P23UNK
02-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Cheers for that. What settings might need to be tweaked in the bios? Why might they be unstable? I'm just trying to learn as much as I can so I understand how to properly match ram with specific mobos and systems. Cheers.

Lsdmeasap
02-03-2012, 12:38 PM
16GB is a lot for any board, and those were made lately with more intention towards newer boards than P55, that's all I meant. Their page says it should be fine on any I3/5/7 board, so you should be alright, but you may need to tweak QPI/Vtt and possibly memory voltage since you'd be using it on an older board. Or you could enable XMP, that may set it stable for you right off the bat, if not you'll need to set a few things manually.

If you do not need 16GB I suggest you don't buy it, it's often more hassle the more memory you use, and it can hold back overclocks if you are into that. If you only surf the web and game, ect but don't edit massive video files or run multiple virtual machines, you really shouldn't need 16GB and would be more than fine with an 8GB kit.

If you want to be 100% sure what works with your board, you should google your board model and 8GB memory and see what memory models others are using in forums. MSI website should also have an old QVL list for memory they tested to be compatible back when the board launched, that might not help too much but I would look at it and see if any of those models are still for sale too.

P23UNK
02-29-2012, 09:25 PM
I have just gone ahead and bought myself the corsair 8GB vengance 2x4gb kit. I installed it and it registered fine so i though 'why not shove my old ram in too?' so i did. i am now running 2x4gb corsair vengance 1600MHz dual channel as well as 2x2gb kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G which i'm guessing is 1333MHz dual channel. Now.............. this is running fine, i have 12288Mb ram registered but the DRAM Frequency is 668MHz acording to CPU-Z. Would i be right in thinking that i can boost the DRAM Frequency in the BIOS to 1333MHz to get a better speed from all 4 sticks as i am limmited to the speed of my slowest ram set? If this is correct can someone please tell me how i do this and if it is safe to do so. Also i noticed the Command Rate has changed from 1T to 2T, is the as i am using both channels now? Cheers,
P23unk.

wazza300
02-29-2012, 10:22 PM
I have just gone ahead and bought myself the corsair 8GB vengance 2x4gb kit. I installed it and it registered fine so i though 'why not shove my old ram in too?' so i did. i am now running 2x4gb corsair vengance 1600MHz dual channel as well as 2x2gb kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G which i'm guessing is 1333MHz dual channel. Now.............. this is running fine, i have 12288Mb ram registered but the DRAM Frequency is 668MHz acording to CPU-Z. Would i be right in thinking that i can boost the DRAM Frequency in the BIOS to 1333MHz to get a better speed from all 4 sticks as i am limmited to the speed of my slowest ram set? If this is correct can someone please tell me how i do this and if it is safe to do so. Also i noticed the Command Rate has changed from 1T to 2T, is the as i am using both channels now? Cheers,
P23unk.

thats normal in cpu-z,its ddr (double data rate) to you have to times what you see so 668x2=1336mhz<-- which is the speed your rams actually running at,not 668mhz
change 2t to 1t,you might need a little more cpu/nb voltage maybe one or two clicks if unstable but should run 1t fine

P23UNK
03-01-2012, 03:50 AM
That's great, cheers. Just after I posted that I looked in the BIOS and it said it was running at 1333mhz, now I understand why it was reading differently in CPU-z. What is the 1t and 2t and what is the difference between the two?

P23UNK
03-01-2012, 05:37 AM
Also i've just run prime95 to see how the ram is working and it registers all 12GB of ram but it only tests 4GB of it. Why would this be? Sorry for the newbie questions. Cheers

wazza300
03-01-2012, 06:29 AM
1t will be quicker than 2t,its a cycle of clocks that times the other cycles of ram timing and 1t is quicker

as for prime 95 not sure,isnt there an option to test all available ram? blend test tests alot of ram,or run memtest86

P23UNK
03-11-2012, 06:37 AM
I have yet another RAM based question for you techs. I have now (after a new train of thought) decided to take out my old kingston ram and have left in the new corsair ram as it runs faster. I have now discovered my MOBO only supports up to 1333MHz and to get 1600 upwards you need to overclock. I am not trying to find out how to overclock my specific MOBO to accept 1600MHz RAM. I know there are a few different timings that can be tweaked and the voltage but having never tried anything like this before I would like some professional opinions before i go ahead and start tampering with, for all i know, a crutial setting of some sort.
Cheers.

wazza300
03-11-2012, 08:33 AM
does that ram support xmp? if so it will set everything up for you,try and see if ram runs at 1600mhz with xmp enabled in bios

P23UNK
03-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I've tried enabling XMP in bios but when ever I do the computer won't load windows or post. I have to turn power off and take out corsair RAM and fit Kingston RAM and turn it back on. I think its due to my.MOBO not supporting RAM over 1333 MHz without being overclocked. Would this be correct?

wazza300
03-11-2012, 10:15 AM
im not sure,so you want to run ram at 1600mhz? not sure on the max cpu multi on that chip so set bclk to 21x160 in bios,disable intel turbo boost,set cpu voltage to normal,set qpi/vtt to 1.25v,set dram voltage to whats printed on ram,either 1.5v or 1.66v

set spd(system memory multiplier) to 10x which will give you 1600mhz ram speed,and can either leave timings on auto or set the top four slots in each memory bank/channel to your rams rated timings for example 9-9-9-24

save/exit and it should be fine,cpu will be slightly oc'd to 3.36ghz

P23UNK
03-11-2012, 05:00 PM
That's brilliant, ill try those setting and see what happens. This should be stable, just run a little hotter under load conditions yeah? Just a quick question before I try this, what if I change these settings and the computer won't post or load, how do I get back into BIOS to revert to factory settings?

wazza300
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
it will do automatically if not remove mb battery for 30 second and try,it shouldnt run any hotter

P23UNK
03-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I went into BIOS and struck some noob problems, the voltage setting were locked to auto bit after doing some searching I found out u use the + and - keys on the number pad to alter these settings. Also the memory settings for the RAM are memory ratio 3,4,5,6 or auto so wasn't sure how to set it at 10x to get 1600mhz. I tried.the oc without changing the voltages and it failed so had to google on my phone about removing the cmos battery to reset BIOS. This is some.ordeal to get new RAM! Lol

wazza300
03-12-2012, 02:39 AM
sorry i didnt explain more,you need to set bclk to 21x160 first then you should be able to set 10x memory ratio, unless 8x is the highest it will go

Lsdmeasap
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
i7-860 max memory multiplier is x12 :tongue02: :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/kb0q1.png

CPU-Z Validator 3.1 (http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1521239)

Lsdmeasap at it again - breaks 3000MHz Memory Speed with Mushkin & GIGABYTE :: TweakTown USA Edition (http://www.tweaktown.com/news/17920/lsdmeasap_at_it_again_breaks_3000mhz_memory_speed_ with_mushkin_gigabyte/index.html)
http://forums.tweaktown.com/memory/42161-mushkin-gigabyte-break-3000mhz-memory-speeds.html

P23UNK
03-13-2012, 02:03 AM
My BIOS must be slightly different as i set the DRAM timing to 5 on the scale of 3,4,5,6,auto and it set the ram speed to 1600MHz. Wazza i set up the voltages as you had said after finding out i could change them from auto, the cpu is running at 3.36GHz and after figuring out my BIOS my ram is now running at 1600MHz. Thank you for your advice :thumbsup:. My running temps are quite a bit higher now, sitting at an average of about 49 degrees idol and hitting around 100 under load. I've not tried stress testing it properly yet as i think it will go well above 100 degrees so i am going to purchase a CPU cooler and then OC the cpu to around 4GHz and have the ram running 1600MHz. I know this will be in the wrong section with this question but am i right in thinking the Noctua NH-D14 is "The ****" as far as cpu coolers go without getting into serious water cooling systems that cost a fortune?
Cheers.

wazza300
03-13-2012, 05:32 AM
are you using stock cooler? 3.2ghz is your limit with stock intel cooler,set cpu voltage to normal setting? get that noctua asap

Lsdmeasap
03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes, that's a decent cooler, just make sure you have room around your socket and for the memory!

P23UNK
03-14-2012, 01:08 AM
Cheers for all the advice everyone. Is there a better cooler for the same price bracket or would you recommend that particular Noctua? I've read on another forum that someone who had the same vengance ram fitted a Noctua D14 and it just made it and no more, possibly touching the bottom of the cooler but i could always trim a little off the top of the heat sink of the ram, i wouldn't think it would make any differance. I'm just about to take some measurements and comepare with that of the D14. Fingers crossed. Yes Wazza i'm currently running the stock Intel cooler and the temps are fluctuating alot from around 42 to 55 degrees at idol. I'm not sure what the CPU voltage is, i didn't change it from what it was origonally set to.

wazza300
03-14-2012, 01:26 AM
normal will be better than auto for cpu voltage,the gelid tranquillo is a good budget cooler and the hyper 212,other dearer coolers are prolimatech megahalems cooler and the true 120,i think those budget coolers will be more than enough for your mild oc,

P23UNK
03-22-2012, 06:30 AM
Here is another question for you...... is there a simple way to reset to factory settings in bios to un-overclock the comp? Is there an option to do this in the bios usually? I have measured my case and lay out for the Noctua and it is too tall to fit into the case but i can run it with the cover off, i will also need to remove the heat sinks from my new vengeance ram but it should fit in apart from that..... maybe i can cut a raised window of some sort in the side of the case to accomodate the noctua's extra 5mm or so. Cheers again.

wazza300
03-22-2012, 09:22 PM
did you look at the gelid tranquilo and hyper 212? i have the noctua d14 fitted and the fans that come with it are noisy,it will annoy the hell out of you,i switched mine to pwm controlled akasa ones,but im not that impressed with it,its 7c cooler than my akasa nero s,

to reset the bios you press one of the f buttons or it will say in bios somwehere,make sure you set sata mode back to ahci if you were using it as it will reset to ide

P23UNK
03-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Hello again, I just took delivery of my brand new Noctua NH-D14. It is installed and running, i had to move the outside fan up by about 5mm to accomodate my vangeance ram and the clip on the centre fan is touching the top of my GPU(i spaced them with a thin rubber spacer) but apart from that it is running like a dream. I had Prime95 running for half an hour and the temps averaged 51.6 degrees C, not sure what the ambiant temp is but id guess about 20-22 degrees C. What a difference, i couldn't run Prime 95 for 1 minute after slightly overclocking as mentioned previously without the temp rising to 100 degrees! Any more advice for overclocking my setup Wazza? I'm looking to get it to 4GHz. Cheers.

wazza300
03-23-2012, 08:19 PM
where are you atm with oc settings,cpu voltage,qpi/vtt or imc voltage,dram voltage ect

tell me whats the max mem and cpu multiplier with that chip/mb?

P23UNK
03-24-2012, 10:09 AM
I've just been testing the max BCLK for this setup and it is stable at BCLK 210 with VTT @ 1.340v. All the settings are at stock right now, i wanted to get the max bclk first then work from there. The RAM is 1.5v. What is the best place to start once you have your maximum bclk?

P23UNK
03-24-2012, 11:25 AM
I've been trying a few different things and don't seem to be having much luck, i managed to set the multiplier to 20 bclk to 170 vtt to 1.340 and pll at 1.8 and it was stable running at 3.4GHz (only ran prime95 and intel burn test for like 2 mins) but when ever i try to increase anything from there the oc fails, weather i increase the bclk or bclk with pll. This ocing isn't easy to get to grips with. Any help would be great... again. Cheers.

wazza300
03-24-2012, 09:44 PM
try this for 4.2ghz

CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Enabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Enabled]
Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed .............................. 4.8 Ghz
Uncore Frequency .......................... 17x
Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Disabled]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 200
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [Auto]
C.I.A.2 [couldn't find this]

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) .........
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [manual 8x]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [manual and then click expert]

Channel A + B + CChannel A Timing Settings:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ...................... 8 type these in yourself in top 4 spaces according to whats printed on YOUR ram(do this for each channel a,b,c)
tRCD ....................................... 8
tRP ......................................... 8
tRAS ....................................... 24

Command Rate (CMD) ................ 1T

Advanced Voltage Control:CPU
Load Line Calibration ................. [Standard]
CPU Vcore ............................... 1.21600v [set to Normal]
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ............ 1.175v [set to 1.32v-1.35v you will need to test start with 1.32v]
CPU PLL 1.800v ....................... 1.800v [Auto]
Dynamic voltage control....(Dvid).....set to +0.0550v

MCH/ICH
PCIE 1.500v ........................... 1.500v [Auto]
QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... 1.100v [Auto]
IOH Core 1.100v ..................... 1.200v [Auto]
ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... 1.500v [Auto]
ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.100v [Auto]

DRAMDRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. 1.500v [set to 1.66v] or 1.5v if your ram is 1.5v,look on the box
DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO] 0.750v [AUTO]

P23UNK
03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Cheers mate, I'll try this set up if i can figure out where all those settings are in bios. I can't find vcore anywhere to set cpu voltage, there is a setting called 'CPU Voltage' with options of -
Auto
up untill 0.303
Wher you rais it above 0.018 it turns red to say it is a dangerous setting. There is also Spread spectrum which can be enabled or disabled, what is this setting for? I did see one setting which relates to voltage, PCH voltage... what is this for? I think this thread needs to be moved to the overclocking menu now. lol. If i flash my bios would it give me more up to date settings to work with? Would you recommend this? I have heard it can be dangerous if done by someone who doesn't have experiance in doing so.

wazza300
03-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Cheers mate, I'll try this set up if i can figure out where all those settings are in bios. I can't find vcore anywhere to set cpu voltage, there is a setting called 'CPU Voltage' with options of -
Auto
up untill 0.303
Wher you rais it above 0.018 it turns red to say it is a dangerous setting. There is also Spread spectrum which can be enabled or disabled, what is this setting for? I did see one setting which relates to voltage, PCH voltage... what is this for? I think this thread needs to be moved to the overclocking menu now. lol. If i flash my bios would it give me more up to date settings to work with? Would you recommend this? I have heard it can be dangerous if done by someone who doesn't have experiance in doing so.

what are you trying to set cpu voltage too? it should say normal in the list set it to that,yes flash to latest bios might need to use latest @bios to flash first time then use qflash from then on,spread spectrum should be ok on enabled,i think it spreads the load across all cores not 100% sure tbh