No announcement yet.

Memtest86 v.4.0a issues with Sandy Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memtest86 v.4.0a issues with Sandy Bridge?

Hello all,

Heard from a reliable source that memtest v4.0a has known problems when testing RAM. However anywhere I have searched, never found comments related to this. What happened in my case was when testing both a full bank of RAM (4 slots, 4 GB corsair vengeance) there was a ton of garbage on the screen. I then tested a single stick in the first slot, and again had the same problem.

Was then recommended to use Memtest86+ v4.2 (although an earlier release) and after no errors, testing my second stick (in my second slot too).

So my question is, other people have a similar problem in the past or potentially I didn't search well enough? At the very least wanted to post something for others to find if it's indeed well known in memory testing circles.

Thanks!
    ------------------------------==================[ Current Rig - Still tweaking ]==================---------------------------------
    CPU:
    Intel i7-2600K @ 4.6GHz, 1.36v-load Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s SSD HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W 80 PLUS
    Optical Drive: SONY - Interal DVD 24x - ad-5280S - sata Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow CPU Cooler
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E x1 Monitor: ViewSonic 27" vx2753mh-LED running in 1920x1080p @ 60Hz

Re: Memtest86 v.4.0a issues with Sandy Bridge?

Version 4.2 is the latest version of Memtest86+, and is the suggested program to use. This is not the same program as Memtest86
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Version 4.2 is the latest version of Memtest86+, and is the suggested program to use. This is not the same program as Memtest86
      Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
      Well that seems like a definitive answer. Ok, works for me! I even used 86+ back in 2008 when I had to debug some memory issues too, so it wasn't as though wasn't aware of it.

Just seem surprised given I saw good reviews of "new" memtest86, it was a more recent release (Aug 2011 vs Jan 2011), and it was the original base of 86+. However I guess 86+ has evolved more than the original, even if it started again, so will stick with it from now on.

I have a question related to something odd I've been noticing in 86+, but will share in another thread.

Thanks much!
      ------------------------------==================[ Current Rig - Still tweaking ]==================---------------------------------
      CPU:
      Intel i7-2600K @ 4.6GHz, 1.36v-load Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX RAM: Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
      GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s SSD HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W 80 PLUS
      Optical Drive: SONY - Interal DVD 24x - ad-5280S - sata Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper Cooler: Thermalright SilverArrow CPU Cooler
      Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-E x1 Monitor: ViewSonic 27" vx2753mh-LED running in 1920x1080p @ 60Hz

Comment

Ya, there is Memtest86, and Memtest86+, and the 86+ is considered the standard by many these days.

I'm not even sure if Memtest86 has been updated lately, I know there for a while even using it on dual core or quad cores CPU's caused errors on it's own (Or would fail to even work) due to not being compatible with recent CPU's of the past 5 years or so.

Sounds like they have updated it as you mentioned, so that is good! But I'd still recommend 86+

Comment

Working...
        X