Z68XP-UD3 Stuck at "Loading Operating System"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68XP-UD3 Stuck at "Loading Operating System"

Getting "loading operating system" and then no boot. Nothing. Both off the boot drive and bootable CD's via F12. Pulled the battery for an hour. Then, loaded optmized settings, saved and rebooted. No change.

The board has aways displayed sporadic "waiting for me" messages. Today, when this problem began, the bios displayed a message that boot failures were due to overclocking. The machine is not overclocked.

I've used up my ideas and need new ones.

Re: Z68XP-UD3 Stuck at "Loading Operating System"

What ports are your drives and dvd drive connected on the board?

If your using the SataIII ports make sure you are using the white ones. If your using the sataII ports make sure you are using the blue ports.

Make sure your hdd that you want the OS installed onto in the sataII_2 or sataIII_0 and your dvd drive sataII_5

Set in bios sataII and sataIII if you using sataIII to ahci.

Are the drives being seeing in bios?

edit - What OS are you trying to install?
    Last edited by Acebmxer; 02-11-2012, 10:17 PM.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Please update to the latest BIOS for the motherboard before you do anything else, this will update the ME firmware as well, use Qflash or DOS

Comment

Left the battery out overnight. Put it back in. Machine rebooted three times before letting me into the BIOS. I loaded the optimized defaults. Rebooted. Set the CDROM to boot before the Hard Disk. Rebooted. The same "Loading Operating System" message appeared. But, I let it sit there for several minutes. Eventually, the CD/DVD drive engaged and a message appeared on screen to "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". I did that and the Windows 7 installer DVD booted up. The installer, however, says it cannot install on the SSD because the BIOS doesn't see it. That's not accurate. The BIOS does list the SSD.

The only newer bios is the F9 beta. I downloaded that and will ponder installing it while I figure out how to do that from a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Acebmxer View Post
          What ports are your drives and dvd drive connected on the board?

If your using the SataIII ports make sure you are using the white ones. If your using the sataII ports make sure you are using the blue ports.

Make sure your hdd that you want the OS installed onto in the sataII_2 or sataIII_0 and your dvd drive sataII_5

Set in bios sataII and sataIII if you using sataIII to ahci.

Are the drives being seeing in bios?

edit - What OS are you trying to install?
          Originally posted by wagerrard View Post
          Left the battery out overnight. Put it back in. Machine rebooted three times before letting me into the BIOS. I loaded the optimized defaults. Rebooted. Set the CDROM to boot before the Hard Disk. Rebooted. The same "Loading Operating System" message appeared. But, I let it sit there for several minutes. Eventually, the CD/DVD drive engaged and a message appeared on screen to "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". I did that and the Windows 7 installer DVD booted up. The installer, however, says it cannot install on the SSD because the BIOS doesn't see it. That's not accurate. The BIOS does list the SSD.

The only newer bios is the F9 beta. I downloaded that and will ponder installing it while I figure out how to do that from a Mac.
          Again What ports are your drives connected too? I ask this becuase the black ports labled Gsata maybe disabled by default along with the white sataIII ports.

To update the bios you can download the bios file onto your mac put the bios file on a usb stick (must be formatted in FAT or FAT32) then put the usb stick in this system and update the bios via q-flash.

You may need to try setting sata ports to AHCI as the SSD may not work in IDE mode.
          Main Rig
          Gigabyte z87x-OC
          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
          HiS ATI HD 6950
          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
          EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Again What ports are your drives connected too? I ask this becuase the black ports labled Gsata maybe disabled by default along with the white sataIII ports.

To update the bios you can download the bios file onto your mac put the bios file on a usb stick (must be formatted in FAT or FAT32) then put the usb stick in this system and update the bios via q-flash.

You may need to try setting sata ports to AHCI as the SSD may not work in IDE mode.
            The drives are connected to the Intel ports. They've always been in AHCI mode.

Presumably, I need to extract the BIOS file from the exe file Gigabyte packages it in. That awaits me finding a Mac tool that can do that. I'm also very reluctant to install a beta BIOS. This machine has been running fine on the F8 BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by wagerrard View Post
              The drives are connected to the Intel ports. They've always been in AHCI mode.

Presumably, I need to extract the BIOS file from the exe file Gigabyte packages it in. That awaits me finding a Mac tool that can do that. I'm also very reluctant to install a beta BIOS. This machine has been running fine on the F8 BIOS.
              Ok so after removing the battery from overnight you renenabled AHCI mode as this is set to IDE after a clear or load optimized defaults?

here is the bios file uncompressed. Just add it to usb stick. Beta bios are just fine to use if it does not fix your problem or you do not like it you can always flash back.

z68xpud3.f9h
              Main Rig
              Gigabyte z87x-OC
              HiS ATI HD 6950
              CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
              Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
              EK Supremacy Cpu Block

Comment

Ok so after removing the battery from overnight you renenabled AHCI mode as this is set to IDE after a clear or load optimized defaults?
                Yes. It's always been set to AHCI. Every time I've removed the battery, including twice yesterday, I reloaded the optimized settings and reset to AHCI.

I've just disconnected all the drives except the CD/DVD and one HDD. The HDD is on SATA3_0, the first Intel port, and the CD/DVD is on SATA3_1. With the boot order at CDROM, then HDD, and a Linux install CD in the drive, it boots immediately and I was able to install the OS, and boot from it, on the HDD.

However, when I disconnect that HDD and put the SSD on SATA3_0, the machine will not boot on the CD, either via boot order or F12.

It also boots from the CD/DVD with all other drives disconnected.

Comment

check all your sata cables,make sure they are fully clicked in as it will hang if not,

disconnect all your drives plug dvd drive into sata2 port 4 or 5,plug ssd into sata3 port 0 then install windows onto your ssd,once completed add in your hdd on first intel sata2 port,not sata3
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Z68XP-UD3 Stuck at &quot;Loading Operating System&quot;

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                    check all your sata cables,make sure they are fully clicked in as it will hang if not,

disconnect all your drives plug dvd drive into sata2 port 4 or 5,plug ssd into sata3 port 0 then install windows onto your ssd,once completed add in your hdd on first intel sata2 port,not sata3
                    All drives are disconnected except the DVD and one other. The DVD was on SATA2_4. Now it's on SATA2_5. With no other drives connected, I can boot off a Linux install CD. With the SSD on SATA3_0, I can boot off the CD after 3-5 minute pause with "Loading Operating System" displayed. (THe SDD is recognized.) When I disconnect the SSD and put an HDD on SATA3_0, there is no delay in booting off the CD.

Comment

What is the brand/model number for your ssd?
                      We can best help you when you add a detailed hardware list to your forum signature.
                      Try connecting your ssd to the lowest numbered Intel sata2 port.

You might need to RMA your ssd.
                      Last edited by profJim; 02-12-2012, 11:12 AM.
                      Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                      P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                      4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                      Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                      WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                      Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                      SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                      Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                      Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                      Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                      MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                      Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                      HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                      CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                      E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                      Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                      Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                      HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                      win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Originally posted by profJim View Post
                        What is the brand/model number for your ssd?
                        We can best help you when you add a detailed hardware list to your forum signature.
                        Try connecting your ssd to the lowest numbered Intel sata2 port.

You might need to RMA your ssd.
                        It's not looking good for the SSD. Another machine failed to recognize it. An RMA seems likely.

Sorry about the lack of detail about hardware in the first post. The board is a z68xp-ud3 with an i7-2600k and 16 gigs of Corsair DDR3 1600 memory (although the board insists it is 1300). The video is a Gigabyte GV-R6870C-1GD. There are a mix of HDD drives in it, but I've been testing with an Hitachi 2tb.

Thanks to all for the help, too.

Comment

Let us know how you make out with a new SSD.
                          Good luck.
                          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Does Diskpart from the windows installer DVD allow you to create and align a partition on the SSD? If you are not sure, try it out before sending the drive off for RMA, as this may be all you need to do.

Also, try this or any other installs with a single memory module, sometimes for no reason Vista/Win7 wont install properly with more than one memory module? And if you have any 2GB sticks, use that instead of the 4GB ones you have now!

Anyway, once you do this, reboot and install from the DVD, on the disk select screen do NOTHING except click/highlight the created partition and then click next to start the install. Do not create or delete any partitions with the disk selection screen.

Boot to CD, choose repair, then advanced, then command prompt:

Diskpart commands to align and create a partition

Diskpart >List Disk

(Here note the Disk # you want to align and create on based on size of drive, if only one drive then you are fine disk 0 will be the one you need)

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
                            (Or other disk number if need be)

Diskpart > List Partition
                            (Just to ensure you have the correct disk listed and no partitions are found)

Diskpart > Clean
                            (Removes any previous partition table information, and or MBR's)

Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
                            (To create and align your partition)

Diskpart> Format Quick FS=NTFS
                            (To Quick format-NTFS)

(To check partition was created properly and aligned)

Diskpart > Active
                            (To set partition Active for OS Install)

Diskpart > Exit

Done!

Clean and simple for those who have only one disk connected and need no explanations

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
                            Diskpart > Clean
                            Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
                            Diskpart > Format Quick FS=NTFS
                            Diskpart > Active
                            Diskpart > Exit
                            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-12-2012, 10:55 PM.

Comment

FWIW I'm using the latest beta BIOS F9g with no problems. Seemed to clear up some quirky boot problems I was having.
                              Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
                              Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
                              PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                              Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
                              Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
                              HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
                              SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Working...
                              X