Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 sometimes resets BIOS to defaults on boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 sometimes resets BIOS to defaults on boot

I built my PC around a Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 board. I'm running the latest BIOS (F12), and the only tweaking I've done has been to run my memory at 1600 MHz instead of 1333. (I have G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600 memory.)

Everything works fine, except that sometimes when I boot, my BIOS settings are reset. I know this because I've turned off the graphic boot screen, so when I boot and see the graphic screen, I know I have to hold DEL to get into the BIOS settings, and then I have to set the memory to 1600 again and re-load my BIOS settings from my saved copy.

Why does my motherboard boot into defaults every now and then? How do I make it not reset to defaults?

Re: Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3 sometimes resets BIOS to defaults on boot

do you turn the PSU off? If turned off for too long the battery may loose power.

Comment

I do cut power to the computer when it's turned off for a day or two, but it always cold-boots properly; it's only when I reboot that sometimes it resets to defaults.

Comment

You may need to update your backup BIOS to match your main BIOS, this helps a lot in P67/Z68

Set your settings how you normally want them all to be, then follow this guide on how to flash the backup BIOS to match the main BIOS. You may need to use a PS/2 keyboard, or USB to PS/2 adapter if you don't have a PS/2 KB.
        GIGABYTE Tech Daily: Video guide how to update your backup bios on GIGABYTE P67 boards

And when you reboot as you mentioned, use the actual reboot from within the OS, not the reset button

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried pressing Alt-F12 on boot, but that didn't bring me to the BIOS backup update prompt that the video showed. Maybe this motherboard doesn't offer a way to update the BIOS backup.

Why do you suspect the backup BIOS? What might that be affecting here?

Comment

Apparently there might be some stability issues with some newer motherboard models when the backup bios version is different from the main bios version. Under normal circumstances your system boots from the main bios.

Have you done any windows stress testing? If yes, which programs did you run and for how long?
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Alt-F12 didn't do anything when I booted while I held it down on my USB keyboard, so I connected a PS/2 keyboard and held it down, and voila - I was able to copy my main BIOS to my backup BIOS. Thank you for the tip! I'll see if this avoids the BIOS-reset problem.

Comment

Nice to see you got it flashed over finally! Hopefully this will resolve much of your booting issues!

Try to avoid the reset button as much as possible, and avoid using ctrl+alt+del while in dos, during bootups, or BIOS. If you avoid that as much as you can it should help a lot!

Also, pressing Delete at startup to get into the BIOS too many times in a row can cause this too, or too early + too many times.

Comment

Working...
                X