PDA

View Full Version : Power supply issues.

timpotte
02-23-2012, 09:23 PM
I have an MSI 7082 ver 1 motherboard. An older board and I was using some spare parts to build it. Wrong forum sorry though kinda generic in nature.

I have the computer together and really this is frustrating. I have purchased two new power supplies. Yet I can not get the beep or the post to bios. Now before people say it is the board. I have two other power supplies. One I took from my gaming machine. A corsair 750tx and the computer posts to bios. The other I snagged from my form factor and is way under power at 95 watts. Though again it will post to bios.

The two power supplies were just some generic 19.99 600 watt power supplies. However I am now really getting frustrated trying to figure out why these two power supplies will not work. Is there something I am missing? I have two power supplies now as yet to return. Please any advice.

Love the forum. Long time reader just do not post that much.

Thanks again.

wazza300
02-23-2012, 09:39 PM
some can be just incompatibile,and some simply dont provide enough power to the board and it could be just faulty units,you can do the paperclip test if you google "psu paperclip test" they should power up if working ect,but still doesnt rule out mb and psu compatibility

timpotte
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
thanks I will try the paper clip thing. I thought power supplies were generic in nature. I guess that is not the case.

Now the power supply does come on and the fan does start to run on this power supply. So it starts it just does not seem to power anything. That goes for both of them.

Thanks

timpotte
02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Since the Corsair has Active PFC and I do not know about my form factor. Could it be these generic power supplies do not have active PFC and could actually not allow it to start?

Ok besides I have learned a million things about power supplies. The first thing you should do is read the manual of the power supply. Under the screen is a switch that swaps volts from 220 to 110. They place it on 220 as a fail safe. You must switch it to 110. Really a moron here. I could not even see that little switch. It works now after reading the manual.

I figure everyone could use a laugh today at my expense. Well I am laughing too.

dJabba
02-24-2012, 07:35 AM
think we've all made similar mistakes at one time or another ... as long as you got a good laugh yourself it wasn't a waste :)