Easy when you know the answer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy when you know the answer!

Just bought an Epox 8kha+. an AMD 1500+ XP CPU and 256M of DDR PC2100 ram.
    I have fallen at the first hurdle! There is one jumper on the board - CPU Host Clock Select with two options: 100MHz(default) and 133MHz. The speed freak in me wants to set it at 133 whilst the nervous side says leave it at 100. The bios CPU ratio goes from 6x to 15x and auto. With the XP rated at 1500+ my first thought was jumper at 100 and multiplier at 15 but a wee bell in my head said that this cpu runs at a speed equivalent to 1500meg but in reality may be something like 1300(1.33G). Does that mean I set the jumper to 133MHz and the multiplier to 10x or should I set the jumper to 100MHz and the multiplier to 13x? Should I just set it to "auto"?
    Does it matter and what difference does it make?
    If anyone can offer some advice with my confusion I'd greatly appreciate it.

most modern boards use jumpers only as a backup/for overclocking - usually they run in jumperless mode - which means the mboard detects the correct speed - check your book to see if it has a jumperless mode - if so you should just be able to turn it on and it will detect the correct speed
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

to the best of my knowledge, all the latest athlons are 266 ddr fsb, in other words, the fsb is 133, and the XP1500 is like 1.45GHz or somefin, so i would think, IF you have to manually set it, then it would be 11x133

Comment

Yeah the FSB should be set at 133....try it at 100 and boot your system and you will see you have a 1000MHZ system...(10*100).

Unless you have unlocked your XP you won't be able to adjust the multiplier so you will be stuck with 10*. The correct setting is 1333MHZ (10*133) = XP1500+ so set the bus at 133.

Have fun

Comment

U should def. use the 133. The Athlon XP 1500 runs at 1.333GHz and has a multiplier defaulted to 10x.

I wouldn't worry too much anyway though, ul not do it any harm by under clocking it...different if it was an old athlon, and u wanted to select 133 instead of 100.

Have fun and good luck to you...

What's the worst that can happen eh???!!!

Comment

Maybe this was said, but i didn't see it.

THAT is the jumper that determines whether or not you have DDR ram or NOT. (that was laymens terms)

The default is NOT the DDR setting.

DDR ram actually runs AT 133, BUT since it can write twice per cycle, the equivalent of 266 (double data rate) is achieved.

Comment

If you booted with it set to 100 and made bois changes, just set it to the DDR setting, and go into the bios, and select "Load Opitmized Defaults" (I think thats it)

Do all XP's require DDR? I think they do....

Comment

Sorry to disagree with you zeradul, but the jumper in question is to let the BIOS know what the default FSB speed is. The 100MHz setting is for 200MHz processors and PC1600 DDR memory. The 133MHz setting is for 266MHz processors and PC2100 DDR memory. There is no DDR/non-DDR choice as this motherboard only accepts DDR memory.

As for XP processors requiring DDR memory, the answer is no. There are a number of KT133A based boards that work fine with the new XP processor with normal PC133 type memory.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

I see,

That info fills a gap in what i knew that makes a few things i was wondering, make sense... heh.

Comment

Let's see if I got this right.

I put together an ECS K7S5A mobo with amd xp 1700+ and 256 PC2100 ddr. my bios setup lets me select mem/cpu as 100/100, 100/133, 133/133. I do not see any jumpers on the board or on the docs. is this the way it's suppose to be or is there suppose to be a setting for 266/266. I take it from your previous replies that there is no 266/266 setting. please e-mail me.

thanks,
                    [email protected]

Comment

You set the BIOS at 133/133 as the BIOS reports the frequency not the fact that it is "double pumped" which results in the 266. ;)
                      <center></center>

Comment

Working...
                      X