what is the best os for games ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best os for games ?

I'm getting ready to reformat my hard drive and install my new pny mx420 and I'm curious as to what os to run for my games and music creation software also what and how to stripdown the unneeded services . I have access to all the os's but not sure which one's or one are best currently running xp pro main but have 2000 as my second boot option but i dont use it

depending on your system, I would go with 2k or xp pro. They are both good o/s's. Just stay away from 95 through Me.

Comment

My vote goes to Windows XP Pro, now.
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

If it is just for games then my vote goes towards Windows XP Home :afro:

Comment

What's the realworld difference between Pro and Home?

Comment

I think it's the added networkong and security. also I think it's (pro)got a higher bit rate 64 instead of 32

Comment

No Pro has the same bitrate. WinXP 64 bit is a separate OS.

The main differences between Pro and Home from what I've seen are some administrative tools in Pro (group editor) and some added security features for networks.

For gaming purposes Pro and Home are identical.

I would recommend XP Pro for gaming. 2K is good but the bulk of MS support and drivers will now be directed squarely at WinXP, so go with the flow.

PS - anyone who tries to convince you Win98 is best is being silly. Win98 has issues with greater than 512MB of RAM, it doesn't have good memory management in general, and it doesnt have the native driver base or future support which XP enjoys. It's a good OS, but XP is MUCH more stable and secure, and performs at least as well if not better.
              My Machine

Comment

Working...
              X