Setup a LAN...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup a LAN...

Well I setup a LAN at my house and now I want to play some games vs my brother. I have AVP2, BF 1942, CNC Renegade and JKII. Now the problem is we only have one copy of each and you need cd's + serials for both pc's. Now is the only way to get around this to buy the game again? If so we probably can't cause that's quite a bit of money :(. So my question is do we have to buy the game's again or is there a way around it?

Thanks,

-PGA1234

Just depends on the game, and what the company wanted to do with cd keys and serial numbers. For example, Age of Empires you only needed one cd to get 3 ppl on a lan game...but if you wanted to play on the internet...then you need a cd for each person.

I think what it depends on is...does the game require the cd for single person play, and if you can set up a lan game, does it require for you to log onto their network.

So, I guess it will be different for every game!

Comment

Well we also would like to go on the net on both comps and play against other peeps together. These games need 1 CD and a different serial for each comp that they are on :(. So it looks like I have to buy them again doesnt it?

Comment

Get a router / firewall / switch deal. Install the same copy on each PC and you should be fine. When you play on the net, for some reason when you are coming from a single IP it doesn't usually matter if you are using the same CD-Key... or that's what I've noticed with a few games anyway.

Comment

I think that would depend on the game. If you connect to a verifying server before trying to play a game online....then you will not be able to use the same key. Since it would be going with Key ID, not the IP address. Now if they go only by address then you would be fine.

PGA1234, your best bet would be to install the games on both computers and test it!!! If it works, sweet you do not have to buy the games again. If it does not work, ouch you have to pay the $. :afro: :wave:

Comment

Originally posted by saidin
            I think that would depend on the game. If you connect to a verifying server before trying to play a game online....then you will not be able to use the same key. Since it would be going with Key ID, not the IP address. Now if they go only by address then you would be fine.

PGA1234, your best bet would be to install the games on both computers and test it!!! If it works, sweet you do not have to buy the games again. If it does not work, ouch you have to pay the $. :afro: :wave:
            That's true, but when the same key is coming from the same IP, in a lot of games that is enough to let you through...

Comment

Tried both ideas, they always say that the cd-key is already in use :cry:. Ah well I guess we'll just play different games...

Comment

Im not exactly sure about how mine works. I have both of my computer linked together using a links which is a dsl router. When we loaded sof we didnt have any troubles. One thing you can do is cheat alittle.... you can call or write the company that the game was made out of and tell them you had lost the case to the cd. And you had to reformate your computer. I did this once and they game me a key number....
                If you have access to the irc you can go into game rooms and download a program called key generator.

I never had any problem with mine or with any other games. What game is it that you are wanting to play???I might just have a key for ya!

Comment

We would really like to play AVP2 and BF 1942 more than the others.

Comment

I really get an advantage over people in WC3 when my buddy comes and play with me against others on a 2 on 2. The computers are side by side...so no typing required just talking...its swite!
                    - Damien

Comment

Working...
                    X