VIA on-board sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA on-board sound

I installed an nVIDIA e-GeForce2 MX200 video card and lost my sound. I have done everything in WIN98 help. After two days I still have no sound. I run WIN98es. MB is VIA 694X AGPset (GA-6VX7B-4X. I read that installing the VIA 4in1 driver might help, but not sure if applys to this MB. Anyone know anything?

I have a GF2 and the onboard sound for my Soyo Dragon + mobo wouldn't work unless I used the applications that came with the mobo for sound.

I bet doing the 4in1 driver would help. I was given advice here yesterday to do that for more major issues than this, and it worked.

My computer is finally stable wohoooooooo :D :D

Comment

it's a general recommendation that all MBs using the VIA chipset have the 4in1 drivers installed (unless you are running winXP)

they allow the OS to communicate properly with various components on the MB, and seem to make a huge difference...

Comment

I'm runnin winXP, and the 4in1 driver installed 2 things, even though according to the site it should only install 1.

and so far so good on my stability
        I will fully test this tonight when I get home :D

Comment

Originally posted by dalex
          I installed an nVIDIA e-GeForce2 MX200 video card and lost my sound. I have done everything in WIN98 help. After two days I still have no sound. I run WIN98es. MB is VIA 694X AGPset (GA-6VX7B-4X. I read that installing the VIA 4in1 driver might help, but not sure if applys to this MB. Anyone know anything?
          Can you please provide me with your full system specs so I can assist you further.

Comment

On board sound ?????????

**shudder**

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak

Can you please provide me with your full system specs so I can assist you further.

Pentium3 - 866MHz
              MS WIN98 V. 4.10.2222A
              256 RAM
              20G HD
              Graphic Blaster Exxtreme Video Card (put back in after sound went out. Sound did not return)
              56K Modem
              CNET ethernet card

This is the basics. Let me know if you need further details.

Comment

Originally posted by wuntvor
                I have a GF2 and the onboard sound for my Soyo Dragon + mobo wouldn't work unless I used the applications that came with the mobo for sound.

I bet doing the 4in1 driver would help. I was given advice here yesterday to do that for more major issues than this, and it worked.

My computer is finally stable wohoooooooo :D :D
                Tried the 4in1. NOTHING!!!

Comment

for the 4in1 drivers to be of any use they have to be installed FIRST (that is, before ANYTHING else) after a format and re-install of windows. Otherwise they'll probably just cause more problems and instability (well they did for me).

So moral is that you can't just go and install 'em when ever you feel like it, they MUST be the very first thing that's installed. Before any other drivers or progs etc. They can be upgraded easily enough but the initial install is critical.

Cheers !

Comment

Did you clean out all the old video drivers from the system? :?:

Comment

The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Errr.....excuse me...I think I've missed something here.....

I think the sound driver for the VIA chipset's audio codec isn't included in the 4in1s...There is a seperate driver for the audio.....Is that driver installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                          it's a general recommendation that all MBs using the VIA chipset have the 4in1 drivers installed (unless you are running winXP)
                          Why does running XP make any difference? I run XP and still install the 4in1's. Runs OK.

As far as his problem - a total reinstall would probably be your best bet.

Comment

WinXP does come with the 4in1's but they are rather dated.:smokin:
                            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

onboard sound is generally a separate solution to the chipset, installing the 4-in-1's won't help. u will need the AC'97 Codec drivers no doubt, as this is typically the one used in via systems, although CMI8738 chipsets and similar ones are seen too...

umn, accordin to gigabyte: see 686 audio driver...

Comment

Working...
                              X