PDA

View Full Version : I appear to have a problem?

Mr. C
09-30-2002, 02:59 AM
OK, I been using a P2P app pretty heavy in the past weeks.
I recently noticed that I am showing that I am sending 8 bytes more when I upload a file than the file actually has.

Anybody got a line on what's going on??

I have suspended all file sharing of any type till I get a handle on this.

An AV scan shows nothing to be reported??
P2P program glitch perhaps???

I don't know, and I surely don't want to infect anyone -- could 8 bytes even contain enough to be harmful??

I'd appreciate any light you folks could throw on this!

ReSpAwN DeMoN
09-30-2002, 03:34 AM
um you gotta be pretty damn observant to notice an extra 8 bytes. However usually the file info is always messed up. When I download a movie the files are usually 698 even though it claims I downloaded 715meg.

Mr. C
09-30-2002, 04:04 AM
Files I'm DL'ing are accurate, just the uploads are 8 over?

I'm going to reinstall the client and see what happens.
Keep your fingers crossed!

ReSpAwN DeMoN
09-30-2002, 04:26 AM
lol ok.........how could you notice a whole 8 bytes? lol that's almost like the day when olie noticed the little blue dot in the tweaktown graphic. lol

Darthtanion
09-30-2002, 06:54 AM
Many of the P2P utilities are spyware in nature. Is it possible that this is some generic info being passed along to a third party?

Just a thought.

ReSpAwN DeMoN
09-30-2002, 07:02 AM
hmm.........well I dought that considering that I used a "crack from another author" (lol just a joke from someone elses thread on hacking and cracking) kazaa and rid it of its spyware.

Mr. C
09-30-2002, 08:00 AM
Many of the P2P utilities are spyware in nature. Is it possible that this is some generic info being passed along to a third party?

Just a thought.
This particular breed is not supposed to contain any of that garbage - which is the reason I have used it for more than a year.
I've reinstalled it, but it may be a while before someone completes a DL so I can see the result.

I honestly never noticed a discrepency in file size before this AM?

I'm stumped...........:geek:

ReSpAwN DeMoN
09-30-2002, 08:16 AM
What client do you use? I've used alot and most of the ones I've touched are spyware. I used to use Morphies but when Kazaa kicked them off there network I was forced to move over to Kazaa. Kazaa has spyware until I "used some elses crack" to remove the spyware. I have tried direct connect and that seems to have a bit of spyware as well. Limewire is spyware as well. You useing IRC?

Mr. C
09-30-2002, 08:30 AM
http://www.winmx.com

ReSpAwN DeMoN
09-30-2002, 08:44 AM
oh I forgot about that one. My brother uses it sometimes.

Wiggo
09-30-2002, 09:32 AM
Mr.C you may find that those few extra bytes that are being used are the packet confirmations being sent back letting the other end know that the d/l is going well and there are no errors during the transfer or if a packet is damaged to resend it. ;)

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Mr. C
09-30-2002, 12:20 PM
Near as I can tell that must be it?
Seems the 8 are being uploaded first and counted as part of the total file in the upload window.

I never noticed before, but that doesn't mean it wasn't happening:D
I just don't want to be passing around any harmful content. I have found instances of virii that append 8 bytes to executables but I haven't been uploading any of those.

At this point it seems harmless - and folks keep coming back for more:laugh: