NAS: Gigabit LAN or USB3 or eSATA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAS: Gigabit LAN or USB3 or eSATA?

I'm considering for an NAS so I could remove my 3.5" HDD. Thus reducing cable clutter in my PC casing and getting some space for a longer graphic card. Although I have yet to confirm buying one.

But if I am to get an NAS, I would like stream my MKV & MP4 Full HD files efficiently as if they were streamed from a SATA HDD. Should I look for an NAS with eSATA or NAS with USB 3.0 ports? I mean, which connection has better transfer speed? Is streaming through wired connection (Gigabit LAN) better or worse than through eSATA and USB 3.0?

Recommending me what brand and model to consider is welcomed. Please note that Firewire and Thunderbolt are not supported by my motherboard.

Re: NAS: Gigabit LAN or USB3 or eSATA?

If the NAS is going to be connected to same system you plan to watch these video files on then your best bet is esata, if you want them over your network you best bet would be gigabit lan connection. But to make full use the the available bandwidth the NAS would need to have at least 2 drives in Raid0 as 1 hdd does not use all esata or regular sata's bandwidth.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Re: NAS: Gigabit LAN or USB3 or eSATA?

NAS = Network Attached Storage. Even though they feature USB and eSATA those are only 'input' connections and you can't connect most that way directly to your system. There are many solutions for that as well, but those are categorized as external HDD enclosures.

The difference is really, do you want to access it from multiple devices at once or just one .. and do you want to move it around if. The big benefit of a NAS is that you can access it from all devices on your network, and also over the internet if you set it up for it.

A good normal HDD (not in raid) can do around 120MB/s on a good day, and that's what a gigabit connection can do (approximately). I can stream my movie files to 3 systems at once lagfree on a single gigabit connection and serve files over FTP and it's still smooth and no lags.

[Edit]
      Oh, and when it comes to brand, I can really recommend both Synology and Qnap. If you buy a prebuild NAS, don't cheap out, you'll regret it in the end. Even though the hardware might be the same, there is a big difference in how easy they are to setup and what features they even allow.
      Thecus apparently also makes good devices, but haven't had the chance to use those myself, so can't give a real opinion on those.
      Last edited by dJabba; 08-15-2012, 12:38 PM.
      My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
      Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
      Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

Working...
      X